September 18, 2019, 02:47:40 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Motorcycle Helmet with GPS Navigation Display - LiveMap  (Read 10921 times)

February 26, 2014, 12:48:18 PM
Read 10921 times

HDBitchin

Administrator
Website...

https://livemap.info/

LiveMap is a Russian company that is developing another high tech helmet for those of us that wear them.

If you missed the thread on HDBitchin on the Skully AR-1 you might want to also check that one out if the above helmet from Russia is to your liking.

Skully AR-1 thread...

http://hdbitchin.com/index.php?topic=916.0

May 21, 2014, 10:47:15 AM
Reply #1

the727doctor

Retired Staff Member
No more excuses like"I made a wrong turn"  ???  or" I followed the directions but ended up at a bar".  :o   8)
The 727Doctor, ridin'n for those VET's that can't.
U.S.A.F. Msgt Retired.

May 21, 2014, 03:38:11 PM
Reply #2

r_k_dragon

Global Moderator
I did sign on for the beta testing, but they must have lost my number!!  Just waiting to actually see one of these!
USARMY 69-71, IB 1K, AZ HOG, PGR, AMA, VVA, RFTW  SR 2015 FNG, 2016 -  2019 SR STAGING, 2020 TEAM LEADER

May 31, 2014, 09:46:52 PM
Reply #3

bc45

Global Moderator
Wow that is a lot of cash for a helmet

March 10, 2015, 07:59:13 PM
Reply #4

HDBitchin

Administrator
Here is an updated story on this helmet that I found on RideApart's website.

https://rideapart.com/articles/interview-livemap-hud-motorcycle-helmet

August 13, 2016, 08:04:15 AM
Reply #5

HDBitchin

Administrator
Here is an update on Livemap. This recently released video shows a prototype that they plan to unveil at CES 2017 in Las Vegas in January.

The different ways to apply the technology is discussed in this video. 

August 15, 2016, 10:55:05 AM
Reply #6

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
With Skully going bankrupt and allegedly squandering the $2.5 million in Indiegogo funding it makes it harder for any of these companies that are still looking for investors to get good financial backing. 
Two Lane Highway

July 19, 2017, 10:22:50 AM
Reply #7

HDBitchin

Administrator
As you might recall NUVIZ just finished their development and are now delivering their HUD unit that attaches to the outside of your helmet. Today we have more good news in the high tech Helmet market. We now have the folks at LiveMap making an announcement about their HUD helmet.

Instead of a HUD that attaches to your existing helmet like NUVIZ has done, LiveMap would like to sell you a helmet with their HUD technology inside a helmet. Nothing hanging out in the wind. LiveMap has tucked everything away inside their helmet in a neat package.

Anyway they are back in news making us all aware again that they are taking deposits on their high tech helmet that will deliver in 2018. They have an early bird price for pre-orders that will drop the price from $2000 to $1500. To pre-order you must give them a deposit of $500.

http://www.livemap.info/

New video follows...

July 20, 2017, 09:51:18 AM
Reply #8

r_k_dragon

Global Moderator
You know, I'm liking these little clips more and more!  I'd like to know how the weight compares between what I have and this new LIVEMAP.  I'll keep watching.
USARMY 69-71, IB 1K, AZ HOG, PGR, AMA, VVA, RFTW  SR 2015 FNG, 2016 -  2019 SR STAGING, 2020 TEAM LEADER

July 20, 2017, 09:57:15 AM
Reply #9

HDBitchin

Administrator
You know, I'm liking these little clips more and more!  I'd like to know how the weight compares between what I have and this new LIVEMAP.  I'll keep watching.
As you might know, I follow this stuff pretty closely. Well last night I did a pre-order of the LiveMap. I will post some detailed thoughts about my decision later today.

I read some things about the weight in the research that I did and I will share that if I can find it.

July 20, 2017, 10:00:15 AM
Reply #10

r_k_dragon

Global Moderator
Okay!  You could tell I was thinking about doing just that, right?  So, I'll just hang on for the time being, for you to size it up!

July 20, 2017, 10:10:35 AM
Reply #11

HDBitchin

Administrator
Okay!  You could tell I was thinking about doing just that, right?  So, I'll just hang on for the time being, for you to size it up!
Well if you are interested I can see why. I think this helmet is going to be a great product.

I spent about 4 hours on their website yesterday. I read everything I could read and I also sent in some questions that the Founder of LiveMap came back and personally answered for me. In fact he went on to answer several other emails that I sent him after the initial email with several questions. We ended up exchanging about 5 emails and he satisfied my questions enough that I went on to make a pre-order.

A bit later when I have more time I will share some of what I learned.

Not pushing anyone but the $500 off deal is only good if you place an order by August 1st.

July 20, 2017, 12:01:04 PM
Reply #12

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
Well if you are interested I can see why. I think this helmet is going to be a great product.

I spent about 4 hours on their website yesterday. I read everything I could read and I also sent in some questions that the Founder of LiveMap came back and personally answered for me. In fact he went on to answer several other emails that I sent him after the initial email with several questions. We ended up exchanging about 5 emails and he satisfied my questions enough that I went on to make a pre-order.

Not pushing anyone but the $500 off deal is only good if you place an order by August 1st.

This technology is very exciting to me!  I can hardly wait to lay hands on the LiveMap, Nuviz or, what we'll see in the near future.  In the meantime I'll look forward to reading what you have to share.

Cheers,
Ferrous
Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 1 View List

July 20, 2017, 03:35:52 PM
Reply #13

HDBitchin

Administrator
As previously said, I preordered a LiveMap Hero helmet and here is my reasons.

I have been watching the various startups and other established companies that have come forward and said that they would be developing these HUD devices. If you have been watching this unfold you will note that this LiveMap thread dates back to February 2014.

Besides this LiveMap thread on the forum we have also shared these 7 others…

BIKEHUD by BIKESYSTEMS
http://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,3018.0.html

Skully AR-1, the helmet of the future? (coming in 2014)
http://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,916.0.html

Smallest flexible motorcycle Head-Up Display with cameras (NUVIZ thread)
http://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,2272.0.html

Another High Tech Helmet - Encephalon by Nand Logic
http://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,2931.0.html

High Tech Helmet from Ninox Genesis
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,3182.0.html

REYEDR Motorcycle HUD
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,4738.0.html

BMW look to the future with heads-up display helmet
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,3335.0.html

Including this LiveMap thread that makes 8 high tech helmets that have been talked about here on HDBitchin and maybe we could say 9 if we throw in the high tech windshield that Samsung announced that they were working on…

Samsung Smart Windshield for Motorcycles
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,3554.0.html

My point is that many people are talking about what they might do but few have delivered except NUVIZ which is a “glue on” micro prism that is not a HUD in my opinion. It would be a “Look Down Display” not a “Head Up Display” since the NUVIZ is mounted (glued) to the right side of your view and below your field of view. On the other hand, the LiveMap is a HUD. Meaning it is a “heads up” true “Look Thru” display.

I was actually very close to buying a NUVIZ and since they are delivering now I would have had it in my hands and glued to my helmet within days. Instead I pre-ordered a LiveMap Hero helmet that I won’t take delivery of until sometime in the 2nd Quarter 2018. Why buy something that is a year away? I think the LiveMap Hero helmet is far better and I believe in the guy running the company. Keep reading for my further explanation.

Some of you know I have setup a newsfeed that gives me all manner of motorcycle breaking news from around the internet. This newsfeed is helps me find news that I can share here on HDBitchin. In my newsfeed yesterday I saw that LiveMap was announcing the recent successful showing of a 3rd prototype and they were taking preorders. So I went to the news stories that the motorcycle community was sharing and then went to the LiveMap website.

As said in my earlier post I spent more than 4 hours reading their website and their Facebook page. During the early hours of my reading I also sent off an email from the LiveMap website’s “Contact Us” page. I had several questions that I wanted to ask that my research wasn’t revealing the answers to. Probably an hour or so after I sent my “Contact Us” form, the Founder of LiveMap, Andrew Artishchev, replied to my questions. Wow, very impressive service, the founder of the company was answering me.

Andrew and I went on to exchange several more emails in which he addressed each of my questions very thoroughly. That one-on-one exchange impressed me and convinced me that he and his company would deliver a product that I wanted to own. I placed a preorder.

Here is some of what I found out with my questions to Andrew and also from the research on their Facebook page and website.

They are building a true HUD that you look thru not down. They are not using a small prism or micro LED display that is below your Field of View (FOV). It is a HUD with a wide FOV that has information that is projected out in front of you at 20 meters which will allow you to look out in front of where you are riding and stay focused on the things that are out at that distance and beyond but still have HUD info in focus in your safety zone FOV.

The helmet itself will weigh 3.6 lbs. On their Facebook page, LiveMap said that the optics and tech that they are installing only add about 100 grams to the helmet.

The helmet’s visor is a Transitions Photochromatic type of visor which automatically darkens in sunlight and lightens in night conditions

The technology installed as part of the overall helmet package will be certified to ECE 22.05 and DOT requirements.

The helmet manufacturer is a high end manufacturer that can’t be disclosed as they have a Non-Disclosure Agreement that won’t allow them to reveal who is making this helmet for them. Andrew said you will be impressed with the helmet.

The video camera is 4K capable and has a 64gb flash storage which you can download video files of your rides by USB cable.

The GPS is onboard the helmet. GPS maps are loaded into the flash memory and will have update service from http://here.com . The good thing with this is you aren’t going back with a Bluetooth or WiFi connection to your smartphone and killing your data plan and battery life just to navigate. It is a standalone GPS in this helmet. In addition to the GPS inside the helmet you have other sensors such as a digital compass, accelerometer, gyroscope and a light sensor to adjust brightness level of the picture in head up display.

The helmet is voice controlled like the Siri technology that you have on Apple phones. You just speak commands. For example, you might say “navigate” and then “destination” and then say “123 Main Street, Anytown AZ” and it will bring it up for you. Similar voice commands I would “assume” would be used for the video camera, music and telephone control. One of the videos above shows them testing the voice commands.

Battery life isn’t a great point but the life of the battery between charges will depend on what you are doing with the helmet. The more things you do at once the quicker the drain on the battery. For example, if you record video in 4K versus 1080 the battery will have different power draws. If you navigate and do video recording and listen to music it will take a toll on the battery very quickly. It was said that with just navigation running the battery might last 3 hours. With navigation and video recording going on at the same time it might last 2 hours.

Good news is that the helmet can be plugged into a USB connector that will charge it and let it run at the same time during the ride. I asked Andrew if something like this would work and he indicated that it would. This is a link to a Battery Tender USB pigtail…

http://products.batterytender.com/Accessories/USB-Charger-QDC.html

On my two motorcycles the Battery Tender pigtail is down near my left hip tucked under the motorcycle seat. I can envision easily connecting USB cable for power while I ride. BTW Andrew says the battery incorporates a fast charging protocol.

So, I am willing to wait for LiveMap. When it comes my GoPro and all the extras I bought to make it work will be put up for sale.

July 20, 2017, 03:40:44 PM
Reply #14

r_k_dragon

Global Moderator

Yes, I am watching the date, spent the time and liked what I read and saw, but did not ask further.  So, any extra info you might have I would appreciate!  I am concerned about the weight though!  Thanks Larry.

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2019 All rights reserved.