December 04, 2020, 11:01:25 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Who here is retired or semi retired?  (Read 79670 times)

August 09, 2020, 08:22:35 AM
Reply #120

mqqn

Global Moderator
Good to hear, Larry. I am sure you and your lovely better half will have no trouble finding a bunch of things to do, and I surely hope one of them is visiting south central TN!!

I also hope your company gave you a good severance package.

Last year my company offered "packages" to people of a certain age with a certain amount of credited service (myself in that age range) which amounted to about 80 percent of your annual salary and a pat on the butt.

I wanted to take it, but when I inquired, they told me that I was not being offered the package, as my skillset was not readily replaceable. Lucky me....

I have throttled back quite a bit, however. I am no longer in a leadership / work directing role, and I am not on call, so it is less of a PITA off-shift, so I have that. I refuse to answer work texts or emails on my time off. We are on mqqn's terms now, and I can retire at the drop of a hat. :)

best

mqqn

August 09, 2020, 08:56:41 AM
Reply #121

HDBitchin

Administrator
@mqqn yes travel will be part of the retirement. And a visit out your way is certainly a must do!

Since my company is heavily dependent on the airlines for revenue my job was eliminated. The airlines are hurting and so is my former company. My separation was what they classified as involuntary. That means that severance pay was part of it. My severance payout was based on years of service.

For me it was a kick out the door to an early retirement. I am of retirement age and I was ready for retirement as I have been investing for this over the years. I will be fine but some of my younger coworkers who were also let go need to find new jobs and that isn’t going to be easy in this pandemic.

HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

Love It!! Love It!! x 1 View List

August 09, 2020, 09:30:19 AM
Reply #122

mqqn

Global Moderator
Yes - our package was similar - so many weeks pay for so many years of service up to a limit - I had that maxed out.

There were some that had kids in college etc, and they will have to find other means - but at least there are jobs out there, covid notwithstanding.

Maggie and I have been investing heavily for 30 years so we are in good shape - we met with a financial advisor last week and he confirmed we are set whenever we desire - I am just "cash-flowing" some things around the house; insulation, garage doors, gutters, siding repairs and the like.

I told the advisor that Aug 1 2021 will be the day - but I reserve the right to accelerate that date at any time.  8)

best

mqqn
Like Like x 2 View List

August 14, 2020, 12:06:52 PM
Reply #123

WantMore

Supporting Member
Forced into retirement today. My company eliminated my position. 41 years of continuous employment. You don’t see that kind of employment duration these days. It was a good ride.
Congratulations on the retirement Tank!
Smoke em if you got em
Like Like x 1 View List

August 14, 2020, 12:24:54 PM
Reply #124

HDBitchin

Administrator
Congratulations on the retirement Tank!
Thanks!
HDBitchin aka Tank
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

September 09, 2020, 04:57:16 PM
Reply #125

J F Go

Community Advocate
Congratulations to all of you retirees here at HDBitchin. Guess I haven't been paying attention. I'm semi retired and that's working for me, so far. The wife has a few more years to go so we'll see how this all plays out. But again, congratulations on you all being employer free.
Like Like x 1 View List

September 09, 2020, 06:02:28 PM
Reply #126

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
The Wife complains that it's now full time husband, part time money.

Bur she is retired, too, so I don't feel too sorry for her.  😈
USArmy War College '68-70, AMA, IB 1K, 2015 SR Run For The Wall FNG

September 10, 2020, 06:33:21 AM
Reply #127

HDBitchin

Administrator
Congratulations to all of you retirees here at HDBitchin. Guess I haven't been paying attention. I'm semi retired and that's working for me, so far. The wife has a few more years to go so we'll see how this all plays out. But again, congratulations on you all being employer free.
@J F Go congratulations on your being semi retired!
HDBitchin aka Tank

Like Like x 1 View List

September 10, 2020, 11:20:34 AM
Reply #128

WantMore

Supporting Member
Congrats on the semi-retirement @J F Go
Smoke em if you got em
Like Like x 1 View List

November 08, 2020, 12:22:05 AM
Reply #129

Stingraykev

I retired some time ago, but I get to hang out with Mr. Mqqn on occasion, I just enjoy life as it happens... I have more time to sit around and play with my toys...right Andy..... 8)
Ride to Live and Live to Ride...
One Grouchy SOB....
Like Like x 1 View List

November 09, 2020, 11:59:28 AM
Reply #130

mqqn

Global Moderator
Right @Stingraykev  -

I am seriously considering March 1 as my retirement date.

Consider coming down to TN to visit - would not be a terrible drive for you from your location.

best

mqqn
Like Like x 1 View List

November 21, 2020, 08:42:35 AM
Reply #131

mqqn

Global Moderator
I officially notified my employer that March 1 2021 is the first day of my retirement.  ;D

I took all of this week off as a dry run and I must say - I like it!

After this past week, I still have 9.5 vacation days to take, and as of Jan 1 I have 25 more, so I won't be doing too much more work. The company gives everyone time off from Christmas Eve through New Year's Day, so I also have that time off.

Looking forward to joining the ranks of you that have already earned your retirements.  Now I get to work on the bikes and Corvette more!

best

mqqn

November 21, 2020, 09:17:47 AM
Reply #132

HDBitchin

Administrator
I officially notified my employer that March 1 2021 is the first day of my retirement.  ;D

After this past week, I still have 9.5 vacation days to take, and as of Jan 1 I have 25 more, so I won't be doing too much more work. The company gives everyone time off from Christmas Eve through New Year's Day, so I also have that time off.

Looking forward to joining the ranks of you that have already earned your retirements.  Now I get to work on the bikes and Corvette more!

best

mqqn
Congratulations Andy! You will love retirement. I am really enjoying mine.
HDBitchin aka Tank

Like Like x 1 View List

November 22, 2020, 11:59:27 AM
Reply #133

WantMore

Supporting Member

best

mqqn
Early congratulations @mqqn
Smoke em if you got em
Like Like x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2020 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer