September 27, 2021, 02:42:23 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Electric starter for knucklehead and panhead with tin primary  (Read 544 times)

FerrousBueller and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

August 03, 2021, 04:16:19 PM
Read 544 times

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I'm getting too old to keep kick-starting my pan so I decided to fabricate an electric starter mount. There's a couple on the market ranging from $1800-$3000. They use special starter motors and drives. I designed a mount that uses a Sportster 1981-2014 starter and drive that cost about $110-$370. If your clutch basket doesn't have a ring gear you purchase one for $30-$60. The tin inner and outer primary need to be notched in the back. I haven't gotten to notching the primary yet, still testing the prototype mount to insure it will work properly. I will post pictures and update them as it progresses. I'm thinking about marketing this item if all goes well. The complete kit is estimated to sell for $800.00. Save a thousand dollars and replacement  starter is a stock Sportster starter
Like Like x 1 View List

August 03, 2021, 04:38:21 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
You are a wizard with motorcycles and tools!
HDBitchin aka Tank

When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

Agree Agree x 2 View List

August 05, 2021, 04:57:25 AM
Reply #2

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
👍
USArmy War College '68-70, AMA, IB 1K, 2015 SR Run For The Wall FNG

August 08, 2021, 08:21:49 PM
Reply #3

bc45

Global Moderator
Waiting to see the final product,  Using the stock Sportster starter is handy for replacement.

August 12, 2021, 10:45:04 AM
Reply #4

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Tested the starter and it cranks the engine as it should. Now that I know it's going to perform I decided to cut out the tin primary cover. All the other aftermarket products require this modification to the tin primary cover.
Like Like x 1 View List

August 19, 2021, 09:51:24 AM
Reply #5

WantMore

Supporting Member
Biker innovation!!
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 1 View List

September 05, 2021, 11:46:51 AM
Reply #6

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Very well done!!
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 1 View List

September 12, 2021, 04:23:49 AM
Reply #7

01rk

Retired Staff Member
That looks great. Not sure it would work on my xlch. There appears to be quite a bit more room between the rear wheel and motor than on the sportster.
Also I would have to change the oil tank and make a mount for a battery. Since I only ride it a couple time a year I think something like the Doc Z bump starter would be my best option, I would just like to know how well they work.
My plan for now is to have my Grandson come over with a friend and bump start it.
Get Your Motor Runnin'

September 12, 2021, 10:07:24 AM
Reply #8

maniacmac

Global Moderator
That looks great. Not sure it would work on my xlch. There appears to be quite a bit more room between the rear wheel and motor than on the sportster.
Also I would have to change the oil tank and make a mount for a battery. Since I only ride it a couple time a year I think something like the 22664316 would be my best option, I would just like to know how well they work.
My plan for now is to have my Grandson come over with a friend and bump start it.
I have a friend who owns a Z start and he likes it but it's designed for the track, it's big and heavy with the battery

September 12, 2021, 04:35:58 PM
Reply #9

01rk

Retired Staff Member
I have a friend who owns a Z start and he likes it but it's designed for the track, it's big and heavy with the battery
I believe Doc Z makes a couple different models,  a smaller version for use at home, that's the model I am interested in.
Get Your Motor Runnin'

September 13, 2021, 09:14:16 AM
Reply #10

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I believe Doc Z makes a couple different models,  a smaller version for use at home, that's the model I am interested in.
The unit is small and light, it's the battery that makes it not easily portable. I have a friend in Vegas who owns a motorcycle shop specializing in older bikes and this is what his shop uses.

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer