September 27, 2021, 02:51:50 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: 04 Dyna, Will ride with new battery, Bikes dead hours later, ignitio just clicks  (Read 572 times)

June 26, 2021, 05:23:35 PM
Read 572 times

HDDud

Long been an issue...I will be riding; doesn't matter...3 miles or 100 miles, new battery, old battery...doesn't matter...and I will go into a store and come out, and the motorcycle's dead...will not turn over.  The lights will turn on, but the ignition just clicks, it won't try to turnover at all.  It happens with new batteries, old batteries you name it.  I just got it serviced at the local HD shop, and they said they put a new HD battery in it...and I should be good to go.  Well I took the bike out yesterday for a couple miles....when I go to start it today the bikes dead.

I wonder if turning the key off...before clicking the ignition off up near the front brake is causing the battery to drain.  Or if I am turning off the ignition button prior to turning the key.  I don't know; but it's very frustrating when you are riding, everything's fine, go into a store for 10 minutes come out and the bike won't even lug, or try to get going its just dead.  I hope someone on here can HELP!

Thank you,

June 26, 2021, 05:52:22 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
So the question might be where is the click that you hear coming from? The starter relay or the solenoid on the starter?

If battery is really good then you might be faced with bad start relay or a bad solenoid and this where the troubleshooting comes into play.

One quick thing to try is to smack the solenoid when this happens and see if it is stuck and not moving well. Hit it with the end of a screw driver and then try a normal start.

See the attached pictures for some guidance on troubleshooting the start relay and the solenoid clicking issues.
HDBitchin aka Tank

When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

June 26, 2021, 05:54:23 PM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
In addition to the two troubleshooting flow diagrams that I posted in the above post here is a typical wiring diagram for the starting circuitry.
HDBitchin aka Tank

When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

June 26, 2021, 07:43:50 PM
Reply #3

HDDud

Thank you for the quick response, I really appreciate it.  I went out and tried to start the Bike, took the seat off, and listened for where the Click was coming from, it sounded like it was coming from somewhere right under the battery or in that area.  Within the yellow circle of the pic I posted, the green square areas were silent.  I noticed when I turned the key, and was trying the ignition button, the red wire from where I put the key was hot.  Maybe thats normal when the keys turned in the on position.

June 26, 2021, 08:00:13 PM
Reply #4

HDBitchin

Administrator
Not sure if the starter relay is in that area on a Dyna. I have some Dyna manuals but I won’t be able to look at them until the morning.

You probably can get your hand on the solenoid and if you get someone else to hit the starter you should be able to feel the case or cover of the solenoid if it is what is clicking.
HDBitchin aka Tank

June 26, 2021, 08:04:01 PM
Reply #5

HDDud

I have my manual around here somewhere, I'll take a look.

Thanks again,

June 26, 2021, 09:29:12 PM
Reply #6

bc45

Global Moderator
take a voltage reading at the battery, just because it clicks and does not crank, Does not mean that it is dead. a Voltage reading at the battery before hitting starter button and while hitting the starter button will tell a lot.   

June 26, 2021, 09:30:29 PM
Reply #7

bc45

Global Moderator
Also take a voltage reading at the green wire at the starter when it will not crank. Use a Digital volt meter and be specific with the voltage readings.

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer