September 27, 2021, 04:06:48 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: What have you done to your touring bike today?  (Read 70423 times)

July 26, 2020, 10:20:34 PM
Reply #225

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

Well, I sold it.  Or, more accurately, I traded it in.

I just didn't care for it much.  I never hated it, I just didn't love it.  All in all it was a good bike and it served me well.  It did everything it was supposed to do, but in a very clumsy way.  A large part of My decision was also because I didn't ride it very well.  I mean, I could manage, (mostly) but I would drop it more often than I should, (I think).  All of my drops were soft, and usually in a parking lot.  Some of those drops included the Princess.  Neither one of us have gotten injured from my dropping the "Big Ass Bike", and to insure that trend continued, I offed it.

Practicing slow speed handling would have gone a long way.  But, I didn't really have the interest, or the time.  Because it was the only bike I had that was running I took it to and from work for the last several weeks.  That helped build some confidence, but not enough.

@Princess Bueller,  I think she might miss it more than I will.  I can't tell you how many miles were put on that Bike.  I can tell you when I got it there were very few.  When I traded it in there were exactly, "a whole lot more".

We managed a few distance rides.  Home base is in Northern California, from there we took a run to Vancouver, British Columbia and last year, (2019) we rode to the, "Too Broke For Sturgis" event at Mormon Lake, Arizona after a slight detour through Yellowstone National Park.  There was a nice trip to St. George, Utah and more than a few runs into Nevada for lunch.  Reno is only 90 miles from home.

There was some unfinished business a week after the deal was done and I had to go back to the dealer to wrap things up.  I walked by the, "Great Wide Hope" at least three times before I recognized it.  When I finally took notice I gave it a good hard look.  When I did not hear the voices in my head say, "Trading that bike in was a bad idea".  I knew it was all for the best.  The Dealership flipped it about a week later, it's gone.

I do have a few, very small regrets.  Mostly, sinking money into a bike for upgrades, bummer!  I have a few parts left over in the garage meant for upgrades, you might see those later in the Buy/Sell pages in the forum, I also have a box of take off parts to get rid of.  Oh well.

In summary, I'm glad I had, "The Cycle of Debt", it was mostly a very good experience.  It was certainly good at touring, but, as an in town get around bike, I could do better, and I have!

Cheers,
Ferrous

July 27, 2020, 06:58:29 AM
Reply #226

HDBitchin

Administrator
@FerrousBueller that was a nice story. Touring motorcycles aren’t for everyone.

Well, I sold it.  Or, more accurately, I traded it in.

In summary, I'm glad I had, "The Cycle of Debt", it was mostly a very good experience.  It was certainly good at touring, but, as an in town get around bike, I could do better, and I have!

Cheers,
Ferrous
I think I know where this next chapter has gone. Can’t wait to hear it. 
HDBitchin aka Tank

When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

July 27, 2020, 09:48:17 AM
Reply #227

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I added lower fairings and Im very pleased with them
Like Like x 4 Funny Funny x 1 View List

August 18, 2021, 09:51:57 AM
Reply #228

HDBitchin

Administrator
One of the things that I did to my old Electra Glide Standard was to add heat deflectors. Here is a picture of my old EG Standard with the heat deflectors...

These above heat deflectors are made by RJS Originals who has an area as a Supporting Vendor on HDBitchin. RJS Originals V-Twin Heat Deflectors (on HDBitchin)

As you know Harley adds what they refer to as heat deflectors to their newer models. They call them mid-frame heat deflectors. In my opinion they don't look very nice. Since the HD version is the same shape for both the left and right sides I will bet they just trap air and don't deflect it or manage the air to create a flow that moves the heat away from the rider.

Being a believer in these RJS Originals Heat Deflectors I added some new ones to my new motorcycle.

They really do manage the heat.

http://www.rjsoriginals.com
HDBitchin aka Tank

When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

Like Like x 2 View List

August 18, 2021, 01:14:47 PM
Reply #229

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Ordered two new tires for my Sportster.  ;D

Been running the Michelin Scorcher tires, same ones as stock, and been pleased.  Good traction and wear life, but the wear marks are showing up on the front and the rear is not far behind.  With a trip coming up they need replacement as I'm not too keen on riding the Colorado mountains or the Arizona deserts on bald tires.

My local long-term after market dealer is D & D, prices are good with free install on carry-in wheels.  They checked with their suppliers and Scorchers weren't available.  Neither were Commander IIs, what I had on my previous Dyna.  So have Commander IIIs on order and they will do the install.  Should carry the Sporty to 50k miles and the major service.
If you are not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate.

August 18, 2021, 02:56:09 PM
Reply #230

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Ordered two new tires for my Sportster.  ;D

Been running the Michelin Scorcher tires, same ones as stock, and been pleased.  Good traction and wear life, but the wear marks are showing up on the front and the rear is not far behind.  With a trip coming up they need replacement as I'm not too keen on riding the Colorado mountains or the Arizona deserts on bald tires.

My local long-term after market dealer is D & D, prices are good with free install on carry-in wheels.  They checked with their suppliers and Scorchers weren't available.  Neither were Commander IIs, what I had on my previous Dyna.  So have Commander IIIs on order and they will do the install.  Should carry the Sporty to 50k miles and the major service.
  I switched to Commander IIIs  and I love them

August 18, 2021, 06:26:36 PM
Reply #231

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Good to know.  Thanks Mac.
If you are not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate.

September 06, 2021, 05:48:50 PM
Reply #232

bc45

Global Moderator
One of the things that I did to my old Electra Glide Standard was to add heat deflectors. Here is a picture of my old EG Standard with the heat deflectors...

These above heat deflectors are made by RJS Originals who has an area as a Supporting Vendor on HDBitchin. RJS Originals V-Twin Heat Deflectors (on HDBitchin)

As you know Harley adds what they refer to as heat deflectors to their newer models. They call them mid-frame heat deflectors. In my opinion they don't look very nice. Since the HD version is the same shape for both the left and right sides I will bet they just trap air and don't deflect it or manage the air to create a flow that moves the heat away from the rider.

Being a believer in these RJS Originals Heat Deflectors I added some new ones to my new motorcycle.

They really do manage the heat.

http://www.rjsoriginals.com

@HDBitchin  those look much nicer than the factory ones.
Agree Agree x 2 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer