December 07, 2021, 04:53:19 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Vlogger Tricks and Tips? Anybody?  (Read 25976 times)

May 11, 2015, 10:47:20 PM
Read 25976 times

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
  I received a Sony HDR-AS30 last Christmas.  I like it!  However, I could use some tips on...everything.  Maybe a thread titled, "Vlogger Tricks and Tips?" would be helpful to people like...me.

The first tip I got was this.  The Scotch/3m company makes a fastener similar to velcro, but, more durable.  It's called an Outdoor Fastener and is available in black or clear.  You should be able to find it at many of the bigger home and garden stores.  It works wet or dry and will stick securely to the side of your helmet and to the outside of your camera casing.  No drilling holes in shell of your helmet and it has not failed yet.  It looks like this:

http://mounting.scotchbrand.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ScotchMountingAndFastening/Home/ProductCatalog/~/Scotch-Outdoor-Fasteners-Black-1-in-x-3-in?N=7583086+3294267932+3294529207&rt=rud

The other thing I've learned is about the mounting angle.  If you can draw an imaginary line straight out of the camera lens it should be parallel with the top of your viewport in the helmet.  Sorta like this:

Oh yeah, I did post a video too.  It's a short one, that means it's less crappy than the first.  More to come. 

Cheers!
Ferrous

May 12, 2015, 06:17:15 AM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
I think you have it figured out or at least you have me convinced. I hope to see more of your ride videos soon. 

The one member that comes to mind is Haulin when it comes to vlogger advice. Maybe he has some words of wisdom.
HDBitchin aka Tank

When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

May 12, 2015, 08:56:39 AM
Reply #2

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
I think you have it figured out or at least you have me convinced. I hope to see more of your ride videos soon. 

The one member that comes to mind is Haulin when it comes to vlogger advice. Maybe he has some words of wisdom.

I was thinking of Haulin specifically as the (un)official Vlogger Guru.  I suspect he may have some good suggestions for Vlogger newbies like me.

As for my skill, I managed to get it mounted on the helmet, that's about it.  The next project will be getting a microphone wired in the helmet so I might narrate on the go.  Right now, I'm really struggling with editing.

Cheers!
Ferrous

May 12, 2015, 09:31:30 AM
Reply #3

HDBitchin

Administrator
One thing I have never done with computers is video. Editing is a task that I have no clue or idea of.

Certainly Haulin will have ideas and experience in that. Maybe as you learn and if Haulin shares his insight I might also get some interest in this.

Another member that has done some vlogging is dustyrides. Maybe we will hear from him as well.

Dustyrides and Haulin, are you guys reading this? What can you share?
HDBitchin aka Tank

When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

May 12, 2015, 09:53:42 PM
Reply #4

Haulin

I was thinking of Haulin specifically as the (un)official Vlogger Guru.  I suspect he may have some good suggestions for Vlogger newbies like me.

As for my skill, I managed to get it mounted on the helmet, that's about it.  The next project will be getting a microphone wired in the helmet so I might narrate on the go.  Right now, I'm really struggling with editing.

Cheers!
Ferrous

I'm here, I'm here. Sorry guys, first night in I while I'm able to jump on and do anything more than read emails. I hate to promote another site, so I'll get it out of the way and take my licks if need be ... check out https://motovlog.com Ferrous ... If you dig a little, that place is solid gold for tips geared towards guys just getting into it. As far as the mic goes the best place to put it is in the cheek pad of your lid. There's a ton of different mics out there if you want me to suggest a few I will. I have a separate audio recorder though and I'm slicing that sound with my video from the go pro ... I know, editing, right?

Most people use the simple windows movie editor to do their stuff. I use a program called Magix movie edit pro. It costs but it's worth it for what I use it for. http://www.magix.com/ca/movie-edit-pro/detail/ ... editing is something else all in itself though. I know guys dumber than sticks who walk circles around me when it comes to editing, but they couldn't rid a 3 wheeler if they tried. All I can say is you have to stick with it. I have a a couple hard drives full of video, just no time to edit it.
Some days I like to go fast and other days I like to try stupid things on my bikes.

May 13, 2015, 07:30:45 AM
Reply #5

HDBitchin

Administrator
Great info Haulin. Thanks for sharing it.  ;)
HDBitchin aka Tank

May 13, 2015, 04:26:36 PM
Reply #6

Haulin

any time boss  ;)
Some days I like to go fast and other days I like to try stupid things on my bikes.

May 17, 2015, 10:11:28 PM
Reply #7

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
  Finally, I got the microphone installed in the helmet!  Just a simple static test on the porch.

Cheers!
Ferrous

May 18, 2015, 11:24:16 AM
Reply #8

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
I'm here, I'm here. Sorry guys, first night in I while I'm able to jump on and do anything more than read emails. I hate to promote another site, so I'll get it out of the way and take my licks if need be ... check out https://motovlog.com Ferrous ... If you dig a little, that place is solid gold for tips geared towards guys just getting into it. As far as the mic goes the best place to put it is in the cheek pad of your lid. There's a ton of different mics out there if you want me to suggest a few I will. I have a separate audio recorder though and I'm slicing that sound with my video from the go pro ... I know, editing, right?

Most people use the simple windows movie editor to do their stuff. I use a program called Magix movie edit pro. It costs but it's worth it for what I use it for. http://www.magix.com/ca/movie-edit-pro/detail/ ... editing is something else all in itself though. I know guys dumber than sticks who walk circles around me when it comes to editing, but they couldn't rid a 3 wheeler if they tried. All I can say is you have to stick with it. I have a a couple hard drives full of video, just no time to edit it.

Haulin,

I clicked on the link for MotoVlog, very interesting stuff.  It's too early in the day to be stuck combing through all that information, but, I did bookmark the site.

Before I invest in video editing software I'm going to putter around with some software I already have.  Sony has a couple programs that tie into their products, it's not very intuitive but, I've been trying it first.  I'm using Apple Computer equipment and it comes with iMovie.  Haven't used it yet and the S/O tells me it's not as good as it used to be, I'll dabble with it soon.  I've also downloaded a free copy of "Lightworks"  ( https://www.lwks.com/ ) before I started asking questions.  It appears to be very powerful, lots of features, and, really complicated.  I can post more opinions about them later, much later.  Thank You for your input so far!

Right now I need to get out and ride!

Cheers!
Ferrous

June 07, 2015, 04:17:58 PM
Reply #9

HDBitchin

Administrator
Ferrous (and all others),
I found this web article that has a video on where and how to mount your camera on the motorcycle. I thought it might be good to share it in your thread. I know you are using a helmet mount but this might still be helpful.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to-tech-tips-gopro-mounting-motorcycles-hero3-hero4-onboard-video-mounts-mc-garage

HDBitchin aka Tank

June 08, 2015, 08:34:33 AM
Reply #10

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
I found this web article that has a video on where and how to mount your camera on the motorcycle. I thought it might be good to share it in your thread. I know you are using a helmet mount but this might still be helpful.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to-tech-tips-gopro-mounting-motorcycles-hero3-hero4-onboard-video-mounts-mc-garage

Well that is informative!  I found the part of context interesting.  The way I have mounted my camera on my helmet shows a little of the bike while riding.  I hope the view isn't boring the way I have it set up.  Thank You Tank!

Comments welcome.

Cheers!
Ferrous

September 25, 2015, 03:07:48 PM
Reply #11

HDBitchin

Administrator

Here is the video that is in the above webpage...

HDBitchin aka Tank

September 26, 2015, 12:37:58 AM
Reply #12

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
Here is the video that is in the above webpage...

By bigger problem is editing.  Plenty of software available, that's not the problem.  Time, that seems to be the obstacle.  Wading through hours of raw footage to find a few minutes of good stuff is where I'm having trouble.  In a previous post, our forum member, "Haulin" mentioned how much raw footage he had, it was a lot!  I don't have the storage or the patience for that... yet.

Might be going for a ride on the "Cycle of Death" tomorrow.  Already planning to have the camera ready to go.

Cheers!
Ferrous

March 24, 2016, 07:57:34 PM
Reply #13

jonda1

Supporting Member
I'm not sure if anyone else is having the same problems as me.  One of my biggest problems seems to be getting rid of the wind noise in the video.  I found this video on youtube.  I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon.  It does seem like it would work though.  This guy seems to know his stuff.

I didn't make this video.

September 07, 2016, 07:40:30 PM
Reply #14

HDBitchin

Administrator
I have done a bit of research on how to reduce the file size of videos that you load to YouTube and it seems that overwhelmingly the program that is most often used is Handbrake. This program is said to reduce the file size but maintain the quality of the video. I am going to give it a try.

Here is a link to the download page if anyone else is interested.

https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
HDBitchin aka Tank

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer