April 12, 2021, 11:27:41 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: 2013 street glide no fuel pump or crank over  (Read 672 times)

March 18, 2020, 03:38:11 PM
Read 672 times

Rental guy

Hi guys new to this site so hope I do everything right. I have a 2013 street glide that ran perfect when I put it away in the fall. Over the winter I installed a new Aquatic AV stereo and put an LED conversion kit in the bike with a load equalizer. When I went to start the bike a few days ago I have nothing happening. What I mean by that is when I turn the switch to ignition I don’t get a fuel pump charge and when I push the start button I get nothing, no clicks no nothing. The radio works, the navigation system works and the brake lights work. The tach and Speedo back lights come on and the red key light flashes in and off. In trying to fix this I have replaced the main battery 2 times, one with a interstate battery and the 2 nd time with a Harley agm battery. I have replaced the fob battery 2 times also.  The bike battery has 12.8 volts. I took the handle bar control apart and followed the wiring from the stop switch into the ferring and tested the stop switch at its first connection with an ohmmeter and the stop switch works, I did not test power just resistance to see if the switch was good. I have checked all of the fuses with an ohmmeter and they are all good. I replace all 4 relays in the fuse panel. I checked that I have power going into and out of the maxi fuse, I have 12.8 volts there. The headlight does not come on or running lights, there are no other lights that come on on thebtach or speedo. None of the gauges come on. I tried to override the security system and start it without the fob because I do have the code and thought that might work but I can’t even get it to respond to the normal sequence, I can’t get to the point to enter the code, it just flashes the red key and the odometer stays with the current miles on it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have no other ideas in this thing

March 18, 2020, 07:04:48 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
Some general things to put into your thinking are below...

Starter Motor Does Not Operate or Does Not Turn Engine Over
1. Ignition switch not in IGNITION position.
2. Engine run switch in OFF position.
3. Discharged battery, loose or corroded connections (solenoid chatters).
4. Starter control circuit, relay, or solenoid faulty.
5. Electric starter shaft pinion gear not engaging or overrunning clutch slipping.
6. TSM/TSSM/HFSM Bank Angle Sensor tripped and ignition/light key switch not cycled OFF then back to IGNITION.
7. Security system activated.
8. Motorcycle in gear and clutch not pulled in.
9. Jiffy stand down and transmission in gear (HDI models only).
10. Main fuse not in place.

It sounds like you are in accessory position instead of ignition position. Did you have the ignition switch/knob apart during your recent radio mod or during the LED install with load equalizer install?

Many times things like this are brought about from the previous work/mods that were done. Might be worth unplugging the radio and the LED/Load Equalizer that was recently installed.

This thread has some good basic advice...

Harley Ignition Switch Tip

Another thread that might be helpful...

Starting and Charging Troubleshooting

HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

March 18, 2020, 07:29:31 PM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
If by chance you did have the ignition knob switch out here is a link to a couple of videos and a PDF on removing and installing.

Touring Ignition Knob Removal -DIY
HDBitchin aka Tank
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

March 19, 2020, 05:03:19 AM
Reply #3

Rental guy

I have not had the ignition switch out of the bike yet, it feels normal when switching to different positions, fork lock works, I did also remove the LED wiring and returned to stock. I also unplugged the new stereo and plugged the OEM deck back in. All of this resulted in the same situation, in other words no change. It seems like I am missing something simple, the fact that I have no fuel pump or it wont turn over seems like it should tell me something. Another really odd thing is the fact that it wont respond to the manual override sequence to start it without the FOB, no matter how many times I try it doesnt respond. Its like something is disconnected, just  checking but at the battery I have a main battery cable and 2 fused links to positive, 1 for the amp and 1 for the Nav system, am I missing something there? negative ha the same 3.  So if I have full voltage coming out of the maxi fuse, where could I check power next to try and track down the failure at?

March 19, 2020, 04:28:04 PM
Reply #4

Rental guy

Well guys it was something simple and stupid on my part as I figured. When I pulled the oem stereo out it pulled the ignition wire out of the switch, it didnt afffect the power or accessory wire though. Problem solved, bike is running. Thanks again to all You guys that replied!!! I appreciate it.

March 19, 2020, 06:16:32 PM
Reply #5

HDBitchin

Administrator
Glad you found it. HDBitchin Rep (Karma) given for giving us the follow up and root cause. 
HDBitchin aka Tank

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer