May 06, 2021, 06:48:36 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: She aint charging!  (Read 233 times)

April 18, 2021, 04:56:25 AM
Read 233 times

Mr Mocata

Hey all,

My 2016 Iron 883 aint charging.
I've been through the diagnostics in The Clymer (3 times)  to no avail.
Stator tests out fine.
The tests point to a failed reg / rec so I bought a new one and fitted it.
Guess what? It's still not charging.
Battery is genuine (sucker) and in excellent condition. Hold a constant 12.2 according to my meter.
I've checked and double checked the negative back to the battery and it's fine.
Has anyone else experienced something similar or have any tips what to do next?
Is there a diagnostic port anywhere that might reveal more?

These go to eleven....

April 18, 2021, 08:37:14 AM
Reply #1

maniacmac

Global Moderator
what are the ac volt values when you test the stator

April 18, 2021, 09:04:58 AM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
@Mr Mocata

Some of the values that you got during the testing would be helpful for us to assist you. As @maniacmac said what is the AC Volts that you measured coming out of the stator and what is the DC voltage output of the regulator?

The battery being at 12.2 vdc is likely low due to the not charging problem that you said you have but just so you know a 12.2 vdc battery is at about 50% charge. See this thread...

AGM Battery Care and Maintenance

I see that you are using a Cylmer manual and that should detail the steps in checking the charging system but just in case here is some forum threads on testing the charging system...

Charging System Check - DIY

Starting and Charging Troubleshooting - DIY

And you asked if there was a diagnostics port that you could get more info from. You can read the DTC errors that the bike's ECM might be logging. This is done via the speedometer's odometer. Here is some info on DTC readout...

How to Use the Speedometer Self Diagnostics (WOW Test) - DIY
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

April 21, 2021, 01:13:08 PM
Reply #3

WantMore

Supporting Member
@Mr Mocata what did you find?
Smoke em if you got em

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer