June 15, 2021, 02:39:17 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: This sounds like an expensive fix...  (Read 7427 times)

March 10, 2021, 09:41:45 AM
Reply #75

maniacmac

Global Moderator
I thought you were taking pictures so you can put it back together without the Princess' help  lol

March 11, 2021, 10:38:54 AM
Reply #76

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
I thought you were taking pictures so you can put it back together without the Princess' help  lol

@maniacmac,

You're not wrong.

Cheers,
Ferrous

April 13, 2021, 03:47:48 PM
Reply #77

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

I may have mentioned that I’m replacing the Voltage Rec/Reg.  Is there a wrong way to reconnect the 3 wire connection?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Ferrous

April 13, 2021, 05:39:45 PM
Reply #78

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Nope, one for each phase. It doesn't know which is which unless you tell it lol
Like Like x 1 View List

April 13, 2021, 07:37:22 PM
Reply #79

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
Nope, one for each phase. It doesn't know which is which unless you tell it lol

@maniacmac,

Thank You, that’s a relief.  Only four bolts holding it on but, it’s a few minutes saved!

Cheers,
Ferrous

April 20, 2021, 05:34:36 PM
Reply #80

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

I've just looked back at the beginning of this project, Gees!  I've been working on this for almost a year!  First one thing, then another, a few distractions, and, "Reasons" have made this longer, and, more drawn out than it should have been.  For those of you that have stuck around, Thank You!  For ALL of you that have been helpful and supportive, an even bigger, "THANK YOU"!

One word might sum this update up clearly, Progress!  All the parts, new and used have been put back on except for the seat.  I'm still puttering around with the new ECM, but, it has been started and running.  Like before, if you want to just look at the pictures, you will find them here:  Photo Album, This sounds like an expensive fix...

Alright, let's get you caught up.

Starting with a little house keeping and cleanup before reassembly.  I have read many times how critical it is to remove all the old Loctite before using a new fastener and fresh Loctite.  That's also included in the instructions from Baker Drivetrain.  First a 9/16-12 bottoming tap, a little compressed air, brake cleaner, and a little more compressed air.  Then letting the hole dry completely.

The original blue Loctite was removed with a wire brush, cleaned with more brake cleaner, then red Loctite was applied.

Despite the advice given earlier in this thread, removing and reinstalling the Starter Bolts was a complete pain in the butt!

Is it just me, or does the Baker Compensator look more "Quality"?

This is a lousy picture of the new spring pack from Baker.  After installation the outermost ring is loose and free to spin.  I was told that is normal.

Normally, my OCD tendencies wouldn't allow me to post this picture with the lettering on the new compensator sideways.  I worked it out and let this slide.

BAKER Drivetrain

Yeah, I can't really explain this.

The look and feel of the new Stator and Voltage Reg/Rectifier also appear to be good quality.  After startup yesterday I got a reading of 14.08 volts at the battery.  When I checked it back in September, (Reply #36) it showed 12.65 volts.  I'm considering that a win!

Cycle Electric Inc.

More to follow.

Cheers,
Ferrous

April 22, 2021, 09:38:23 PM
Reply #81

bc45

Global Moderator
Thanks for the update and great pictures
Agree Agree x 1 View List

April 30, 2021, 07:38:23 PM
Reply #82

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

It’s all back together!  I did a hot lap to the nearest, “big town” and it ran like “butta”.  No parts fell off, no battery light, no “hot restart” issue.  Checking now for oil leaks with a very technical tool known as cardboard.  Results to be announced later.
Thank You to all that have helped, Thank You to all that have been following along!
  Maybe just a couple more pics and final thoughts later, right now, I have some riding to do, (and maybe some laundry).

Many Cheers!
Ferrous

April 30, 2021, 09:15:59 PM
Reply #83

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
👍👍👍👍👍
USArmy War College '68-70, AMA, IB 1K, 2015 SR Run For The Wall FNG

April 30, 2021, 09:22:51 PM
Reply #84

HDBitchin

Administrator
Congratulations and thanks for taking us along for the fix with your words and pictures.
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

May 03, 2021, 02:57:07 PM
Reply #85

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
  It’s all back together!  I did a hot lap to the nearest, “big town” and it ran like “butta”.  No parts fell off, no battery light, no “hot restart” issue.  Checking now for oil leaks with a very technical tool known as cardboard.  Results to be announced later.
Thank You to all that have helped, Thank You to all that have been following along!
  Maybe just a couple more pics and final thoughts later, right now, I have some riding to do, (and maybe some laundry).

Many Cheers!
Ferrous

I spoke too soon about parts falling off.  It was a very minor repair, and not related to any of the work I had been doing.  Baling wire saves the Day!

After a closer inspection of the old Stator, I think I may have found the problem with the charging system.

I have a nasty habit of lugging the motor, I don't know why, I just do.  While I could hear the motor straining, I couldn't feel it like I had.  I'm guessing the new Compensator had something to do with it.

My bike ran like a, "Stabbed Rat".  I have already considered it may just be a placebo effect, but, I don't think that's the case here.  There is a very noticeable lack of hesitation when giving a whack on the throttle. After a brain transplant with the new EFI MODULE - ThunderMax I think I'm going to see some real performance increases.  I'll know better in another few hundred miles.  With the built in "Auto Tune" function I think it's already made some improvements.

As promised, I did find another use for my new torch.  If anyone has a recipes for Creme Brullee they want to share, please do.  "Simple" is the key word when talking recipes.

That is all for now...

Cheers!
Ferrous

May 03, 2021, 03:58:13 PM
Reply #86

maniacmac

Global Moderator
If a shop did the work they would have been blamed for the exhaust falling off lol
Agree Agree x 1 View List

May 03, 2021, 04:05:09 PM
Reply #87

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
If a shop did the work they would have been blamed for the exhaust falling off lol

Right!

Cheers,
Ferrous

May 14, 2021, 07:17:45 PM
Reply #88

bc45

Global Moderator
@FerrousBueller
Here is how we make Cream Brulee

enjoy using your shop torch in the Kitchen
Like Like x 1 Worthy of Being a DIY Tip  Worthy of Being a DIY Tip  x 1 View List

May 15, 2021, 08:30:17 AM
Reply #89

HDBitchin

Administrator
@bc45

You are a talented man! Kitchen skills!
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer