June 15, 2021, 03:29:06 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Warm Up Your Motorcycle Before Riding  (Read 2598 times)

April 14, 2017, 10:40:55 AM
Read 2598 times

The Tank

Just a minute of a warm-up run will do the trick. That time gives adequate time to allow the piston and other parts to gradually expand and ensure good oil circulation to the upper end. Most riders start the engine and spend a minute or two putting on their helmet and preparing to ride. Once they’re ready, so is the bike.

Below is a link to a good blog post from AMSOIL on warming up your motorcycle.

http://blog.amsoil.com/why-warm-up-your-motorcycle-before-riding/

April 14, 2017, 11:30:02 AM
Reply #1

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
  I'll start my bike, ease it out of the garage and out the gate to the driveway, all of that in neutral.  After closing the garage and gate I'll finish suiting up with the helmet and gloves.  By that time I'm sure the motor is plenty warm, maybe warmer than it needs to be.

This has been my routine for a few years, good, bad, or indifferent, it makes me feel like I'm treating my bike well, at start up.  Chances are good that I'll be hammering the snot out of the motor in a few more minutes!

Cheers,
Ferrous

April 21, 2017, 06:55:28 PM
Reply #2

r_k_dragon

Global Moderator
Almost the same here!  I fire up as I'm suiting up and opening the garage door.  Back out, close the door, check that everything's secure, clear traffic and ease out for the short run to the light.
ARMY 69-71, IB 1K, AZ HOG, PGR, AMA, VVA, RFTW  SR
Like Like x 1 View List

April 21, 2017, 09:21:10 PM
Reply #3

bc45

Global Moderator
I always thought I did not warm up long enough, Fire it up put helmet gloves back out of garage back down the drive way walk back up and close door and take off.
Like Like x 1 View List

April 24, 2017, 07:43:17 AM
Reply #4

WantMore

Supporting Member
Good advice. It doesn't take much time but a minute should make things right.
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 1 View List

April 29, 2017, 04:51:23 AM
Reply #5

RHSRA

A minute or 2 is all I need. Rpm's start out at near 1200 and drop to 900-1000 in the time it takes to close garage and line up to get out. Have always been a startup practice. I ride with a buddy and it pisses him off.. he starts and runs.. I smile when he stops and waits at the drive.. lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Karma has a fantastic memory..... Choose Wisely
Agree Agree x 2 View List

April 29, 2017, 03:33:51 PM
Reply #6

Harley Mike

I don't think you need to warm your bike up per say. Start it up give it a minute to get the oil flowing and take off.
Life is short, enjoy it but don't self destruct.

May 02, 2017, 04:32:08 PM
Reply #7

tanker

I live in Michigan and I always left mine warm up for at least a couple two three minutes

Sent from my HTC One using the HDBitchin Harley Forum mobile app

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer