May 14, 2021, 06:48:51 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: New 2015 street glide aint silver no more  (Read 5828 times)

February 28, 2016, 09:26:02 AM
Read 5828 times

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Some people are probably asking why buy a new silver bike if you don't like silver, cuz it make a great base color for many candies. Somewhere in the thought process I went back to black and not candy( my previous bike was black, you what they if you go black....) This first post shows taping and scuffing. A new bike paint is a great surface to start with. Just clean and degrease, dewax it. Scuff it to give the paint a surface to bond with.

February 28, 2016, 09:34:05 AM
Reply #1

maniacmac

Global Moderator
If you are going to do custom paint such as candy, pearls or marblelize you have to shoot test panels to find the results you want. It's a pain and takes time but needed. Sometime 2 coats of candy looks good and you think one more will be better but you shoot it and it's not better. If you did that on your project you would have to start over. Marblelizing you can play with different methods and get different results. Pearls you experiment with pearl in the base or in the inner clear.

February 28, 2016, 09:45:18 AM
Reply #2

maniacmac

Global Moderator
After 2-3 coats of high solid clears you have to color sand if you want show quality finish. I usually do 2 coats, sand and repeat and repeat. Every painter has a different views on this step. This picture shows solvent pops which can be sanded out but it would have been easier if I didn't cause that to happen ( its from waiting too long between coats and gases are trapped ) I also do my art work after 2-3 coats of clear because that allows me sand or wipe off my mistakes and gives a lager window when to apply the next clear coat. Clear should applied to base with 2 hours but with clear you wait days, just scuff and go. I trace my art work with lend transfer 2nd pic.

February 28, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
Reply #3

maniacmac

Global Moderator
10 days later here is finished project. Pearl black on top, original silver for the graphs and black with white and silver marblelizing. I also painted the front lower legs. If you look at the grim reaper blade it has my Dying To Ride tm on it. Thanks for letting me share this

February 28, 2016, 10:23:02 AM
Reply #4

HDBitchin

Administrator
Great results! I love the blade and your Trademark words on it! "Dying To Ride"!!

HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

February 28, 2016, 02:52:54 PM
Reply #5

bc45

Global Moderator
I like the results looks good

February 28, 2016, 03:26:13 PM
Reply #6

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Very nice work! It looks great!
Two Lane Highway

March 01, 2016, 07:30:42 PM
Reply #7

LAWDOG

You have a serious gift!  Love your work! 
Fixin stuff that ain't broke...

March 03, 2016, 04:46:17 PM
Reply #8

WantMore

Supporting Member
Amazing work! Very nice. Love the Reaper.
Smoke em if you got em

December 30, 2016, 03:36:40 PM
Reply #9

Capital Jack

My 17 M8 is my first sliver bike  I like it, it needs ghost flames on the rear fenders
Nuff said. Were burnin, daylight- Lets ride
  Florida is home, 29 years sober
{I may not git it right the first time, But I will not be KNOCKED OUT til I git it done RIGHT}

December 31, 2016, 06:56:05 AM
Reply #10

J F Go

Community Advocate
Thanks for sharing. You do some really nice work, and the Grim Reaper with your Dying to Ride is an exceptionally nice touch. Wish I was that talented.   ;D  8)

January 03, 2017, 06:48:59 AM
Reply #11

maniacmac

Global Moderator
My 17 M8 is my first sliver bike  I like it, it needs ghost flames on the rear fenders
Add pearl to the clear, tape and paint.

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer