April 12, 2021, 11:50:28 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Little Drive From Michigan to Arizona  (Read 394 times)

February 17, 2021, 08:09:57 PM
Read 394 times

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Upon my Mom’s recent passing, I decided to bring some of her belongings back home to Arizona from Michigan, including some furniture.  This required renting a small truck vs a car.  I offered my life long buddy an expense paid road trip since we didn’t get a chance to visit while I was in Michigan.  I also considered making it a casual but steady drive back, hoping to minimize the number of nights spent in motels, etc.  We left with overcast skies and cold temps, but dry roads.  Day one got us to Springfield, MO. On Day two, as a series of major winter storms were all over the news, we decided to continue on to Ok City, then take another weather reading and decide whether to turn right and go west on I-40 or continue south toward I-20/10 to stay south.  As it turned out, predictions were worse across I-40 with potential road closures, etc.  We opted to go south, although it added about 250 extra miles.  As best as I could tell from the news/weather, it was a good plan.  Albq was a mess, as were other spots as well.  More sunshine and dry roads all the way to Midland, TX.  I was curious as to whether the cleanup from the major pileup in Fort Worth was finished because our planned route went right through the site.  According to Google Maps it was good to go.  Not the case.  We were directed off the highway and had to make a few mile detour through part of town in order to pick up I-20.  Otherwise no problem there.  Again, dry roads all the way to Midland.  However, day three was a whole new story. The forecast called for bad weather moving in, but we felt we would be safe to travel as far as we could, hoping to stay ahead of the mess coming in from the north.  We woke up to ice on the windshield, but after warming up the truck and clearing the windows we pressed on.  The weather ‘ok’ (this coming from a former midwesterner) for a while but kept getting worse.  We and the other traffic were doing well, matching speed to conditions, and the road was not being closed.  However, about 90 miles east of El Paso, we rolled to a stop.  As it turned out, there was a sizeable pileup on our side of the highway (pics to follow).  We were fortunate that we only sat there for about a half hour;  but getting back up to speed took a while.  Once past that we continued but with snow and ice getting worse and worse.  At a couple points it was close to a whiteout, but motoring along as slow as 15 mph.  We tucked in behind a semi with his 4 ways flashing.  We stopped once to de-ice the windshield wipers.  The snow started switching over to sleet and freezing rain, so our speed didn’t increase much.  Traffic was a mess in El Paso, but we made it through slowly, dodging vehicles that had spun and kissed the guard rails.  We found out later that they closed the roads behind us.  We pressed on across New Mexico, with the last and worst of the ice near the west side.  Gradually the ice cleared up and we had increasingly good roads and weather the rest of the way.  We had been driving in temps between 3 and 20 degrees entirely, but as we approached the AZ line, we finally started catching a break.  By the time we went through Tucson it was 57 degrees.  We finally reached home about 10:15 pm.
USArmy War College '68-70, AMA, IB 1K, 2015 SR Run For The Wall FNG

February 17, 2021, 08:10:39 PM
Reply #1

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Couple more

In this first pic, the vehicle on the right started out life as a Ford pickup.

February 17, 2021, 08:12:11 PM
Reply #2

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
More

February 17, 2021, 08:12:36 PM
Reply #3

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Last one

February 17, 2021, 08:30:16 PM
Reply #4

HDBitchin

Administrator
Looks like an adventure! Glad that you made it safely home.
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

February 18, 2021, 07:29:24 AM
Reply #5

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Doesn't sound like a casual drive lol, glad you made it home safe.

February 18, 2021, 10:31:04 PM
Reply #6

bc45

Global Moderator
Glad you made it through all the bad weather and roads unscathed.

February 18, 2021, 10:38:12 PM
Reply #7

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Thanks, Guys.  It was nice crawling out of the truck for the last time.

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer