June 18, 2021, 11:19:02 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: CB radio wtf  (Read 311 times)

May 14, 2021, 05:54:51 PM
Read 311 times

Justdrew

2015 limited
CB
Does anyone have a CB that works on a 2014 or newer
mine has never worked right since day 1 I have had it looked at a few times and it still sucks
it has a range of about 500 feet and that's it   you can literally see the guy in a truck talking and hear him but not who he is talking to unless he is right next to him.
I have been told every excuse that Harley can make up including its within specs and then i  ask what the specs are and they cant show me
I have had a 2006 ultra and an 2011 limited and they worked fine . this is the Rushmore style and it sucks .
I ride cross country every few years and the cb  always on and supposed to break in if there is someone talking  and nothing I am trying to get  them to change the cb module now, hopefully it will work but I'm not confident
 it seems they don't teach the technician's anything about them at Harley school  cause they all don't know anything about them I am trying to get it fixed before its an antique

Any one else have  a cb that works good on one of these?

May 14, 2021, 08:02:47 PM
Reply #1

bc45

Global Moderator
I have never used my 2016 Limited so cant tell you how it works, If you get it working properly please let us know what the fix is.
Welcome to Bitchin

May 14, 2021, 08:56:26 PM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
Have the dealer addressed the SWR?

Standing wave ratio (SWR) is a technical term for the procedure that checks how well the CB transmitter and antenna are matched. If poor CB reception or transmission is noticed, the SWR should be checked.

Adjusting the SWR is described in detail in the Harley-Davidson FLT Electrical Diagnostic Manual; however, the SWR of the frame-mounted CB antenna is adjusted by moving the two rings on the loading coil up or down, rather than moving the antenna up or down, or shortening the antenna by grinding.

To check SWR, an SWR meter or bridge is required. A Harley-Davidson dealer will either have an SWR meter and the appropriate adapters, or can direct you to a CB repair shop for an SWR check.

Since the operating procedures for SWR meters vary, be sure the operating instructions for the SWR meter being used are carefully followed.
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 1 View List

May 22, 2021, 01:44:21 PM
Reply #3

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
@Justdrew

Have you checked the SWR like Tank suggested in the above post?
Two Lane Highway

May 22, 2021, 04:52:39 PM
Reply #4

Justdrew

CB wtf update

Ok so I brought the bike to my dealership  and they put the new module in ,  I asked if they tested it they said they didnt have anything to test it with and I said how do I know if its gonna work? After putting a few hundred miles on it  I'm sure it dosent,
So i asked about the SWR meter and they didn't have one  so the service manager got involved and said he would call there other dealership  and see if they had one. He would call me in a couple days.  He Called me Tuesday, Nope, not one there either so, he ordered one and it came in without cables  and he said he would pick them up this weekend and call me on Tuesday .
This is the first time I have delt with the service manager and he seems he is determined to get this thing working he knows it hasn't worked right since I bought the bike new, and I havent got any answers in the 6 years I've had it.   Stay  turned for progress and updates.
Like Like x 2 View List

May 22, 2021, 09:10:00 PM
Reply #5

bc45

Global Moderator
thanks for the update, staying tuned for the final outcome.

June 07, 2021, 04:06:49 PM
Reply #6

WantMore

Supporting Member
HDB Rep (Karma) given for the follow up @Justdrew
Smoke em if you got em
Like Like x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer