August 04, 2021, 12:01:58 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: HD Clutch Adjustment DIY  (Read 6830 times)

November 27, 2013, 05:53:22 AM
Read 6830 times

HDBitchin

Administrator
Below is a nicely done video on the clutch adjustment for a Harley. The clutch cable free play adjustment is also shown in this video but a more detailed video on the cable free play adjustment can be understood by watching another linked DIY tip on HDBitchin.

Here is a link to that DIY video tip...

HD Clutch Cable Free Play Adjustment DIY

HD Clutch Adjustment DIY...

HDBitchin aka Tank

When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

Like Like x 1 Dislike Dislike x 1 View List

December 20, 2013, 01:47:29 PM
Reply #1

LAWDOG

Very nice Larry.  Gave me the confidence to tackle this one on my own!
Fixin stuff that ain't broke...

December 20, 2013, 02:24:05 PM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
Very nice Larry.  Gave me the confidence to tackle this one on my own!

Yes sir Joe, I think the video is well done and does demonstrate the steps well. Once you do it will be muscle memory each time you do it again.  :)
HDBitchin aka Tank

When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

April 22, 2014, 10:19:37 PM
Reply #3

HDBitchin

Administrator
Here is another video on Harley Clutch and Clutch Cable adjustments.

HDBitchin aka Tank

March 07, 2015, 07:14:42 PM
Reply #4

HDBitchin

Administrator
Since YouTube videos can come and go I wanted to add another video on Clutch Adjustment. This one is very nicely done by J&P Cycles.

HDBitchin aka Tank

October 04, 2015, 11:42:43 AM
Reply #5

HDBitchin

Administrator
Typical clutch adjustment is covered in the below attached document. You can easily print it out when working on your clutch adjustment.

HDBitchin aka Tank

October 05, 2015, 10:06:44 AM
Reply #6

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
  If you didn't know already it's important to understand the Torx bit size is a #27 for the Primary Cover Screws.  A #25 will fit but it's really too small and will lead to the destruction of those screws.  The #27 Torx driver is a little harder to find and not usually included in most sets.  I think I found mine at an automotive store as an individual bit.

Cheers!
Ferrous
Informative Informative x 1 View List

April 19, 2017, 09:20:42 AM
Reply #7

HDBitchin

Administrator
Quick and to the point video on adjusting the clutch and free play in the lever.

HDBitchin aka Tank

August 13, 2017, 11:04:57 AM
Reply #8

HDBitchin

Administrator
Just watched Lemmy from Revzilla do a clutch adjustment in the below video. He provides a good narration of why things are being done along with showing the steps. Good video IMO.

Link to extra info on Revzilla about clutch adjustments.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/how-to-adjust-a-motorcycle-clutch-on-a-harley-big-twin
HDBitchin aka Tank

Informative Informative x 1 View List

August 13, 2017, 03:04:38 PM
Reply #9

r_k_dragon

Global Moderator
Another good video!  Thanks Larry!
ARMY 69-71, IB 1K, AZ HOG, PGR, AMA, VVA, RFTW  SR
Agree Agree x 1 View List

December 01, 2018, 01:33:58 PM
Reply #10

HDBitchin

Administrator
This video shows a pass thru socket set being used to adjust the clutch.

HDBitchin aka Tank

December 08, 2018, 08:26:13 PM
Reply #11

bc45

Global Moderator
This video shows how to adjust the sportster clutch, simular but a little different the the Big Twin's

June 18, 2021, 10:53:19 AM
Reply #12

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
  I've been doing my own clutch CD adjustment for years now, I wish I had This information a while ago!

‘Bout time someone put a number to it!

Cheers,
Ferrous

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer