September 19, 2021, 03:10:38 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: New or Unread Posts Navigation  (Read 1665 times)

March 06, 2014, 10:41:35 AM
Read 1665 times

HDBitchin

Administrator
Recently a question come up that was directed to me via PM. It was a worthwhile question and I thought the answer might benefit others so I decided to share it here.

The member wanted to know how he could get to the first "unread" post in a thread. He and I both have previous experience with other forum software that has this feature. All the various forum software programs have a bit different navigation scheme. HDBitchin is on Simple Machines Forum software and it is different than other forum software like vBulletin for example. It was difficult for me to figure it all out at first. But eventually I found that everything that I was used to having on a vBulletin forum was available on this Simple Machines Forum software.

There is a way of getting straight to the first unread post in a thread. At the end of a thread title you will see this image...  if new posts have accumulated since your last visit. If you click that image it will take you to the first new or unread post in that thread. You must click that "new" image. When you do it takes you to the first unread post in that thread. You will also see that "new" image on the main page next to the "child boards" for the DIY (Harley School of Hard Knocks) section. If that "child board" has new threads or new post activity the image will appear.

Also in the "thread list" to the far right if you click this...  it will take you to the last post in that thread. This skips past any new posts (if there are any) that you may not have read so if you click that one you might have to scroll backwards to be sure you didn't fly past some new unread posts when you went direct to the last post.

Another thing that you might notice on the main page is this... for showing a "board" or "sub forum" that has new posts. Clicking that will take you to a list of the threads with posts in that sub forum that are new. The reverse of that is this... which means no new posts are in that sub forum.

I hope this information will enhance your use HDBitchin. Thanks for being a member.

HDBitchin, an HD Forum (a Harley Davidson Forum)
HDBitchin aka Tank

When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer