May 14, 2021, 06:28:42 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: touch up paint  (Read 4813 times)

October 17, 2017, 09:30:29 PM
Read 4813 times

bc45

Global Moderator
Well the wife scratched the left saddle bag pretty bad. I bought a touch up paint kit from Harley. the color is velocity red.It is a silver base with a red clear. I started bby dabbing in some silver letting it sit for 5 min then dabbed in the cler red.Had to add a little more silver then several more coats of the red untill the color matched well.
@maniacmac or any one who has done paint work how long do it let it set up before wet sanding with 2000 then polish?

after filling

Ill post the final pictures once sanding and polish is done.
Thanks for any advice

October 18, 2017, 07:57:42 AM
Reply #1

maniacmac

Global Moderator
24 hrs is long enough and no more than 48 hours. If you wait longer it's ok but harder to buff out. This info is based on common clear coat.
Like Like x 1 View List

October 18, 2017, 09:04:41 AM
Reply #2

J F Go

Community Advocate
 Not sure if you would be interested in this or not, but thought I'd share. A few years ago my wife scratched the hell out of the lid by putting her camera case between her and the lid. I found a company called "Motorcycle Armor" that makes a product that helps protect your bike from your wife, LOL. I purchased the lid protectors and installed as instructed and was truly amazed that they DID work as advertised. Honestly, no scratches visible, GONE. I thought I was going to have to have my saddles repainted and mine, being a CVO bike, I was not looking forward to how much that would cost. They are warrantied for life. An ounce of protection is better than a pound of cure. Yes, the wife and I had a very quiet ride back home that day ::), but it's all good now. (I hope) So, @bc45, I think it's a great product and may help you from having to have you go through this again.
Like Like x 1 View List

October 18, 2017, 07:46:55 PM
Reply #3

bc45

Global Moderator
Not sure if you would be interested in this or not, but thought I'd share. A few years ago my wife scratched the hell out of the lid by putting her camera case between her and the lid. I found a company called "Motorcycle Armor" that makes a product that helps protect your bike from your wife, LOL. I purchased the lid protectors and installed as instructed and was truly amazed that they DID work as advertised. Honestly, no scratches visible, GONE. I thought I was going to have to have my saddles repainted and mine, being a CVO bike, I was not looking forward to how much that would cost. They are warrantied for life. An ounce of protection is better than a pound of cure. Yes, the wife and I had a very quiet ride back home that day ::), but it's all good now. (I hope) So, @bc45, I think it's a great product and may help you from having to have you go through this again.
24 hrs is long enough and no more than 48 hours. If you wait longer it's ok but harder to buff out. This info is based on common clear coat.

Thanks for the info

October 18, 2017, 08:01:16 PM
Reply #4

J F Go

Community Advocate
 You're welcome. 8)

October 18, 2017, 09:24:23 PM
Reply #5

maniacmac

Global Moderator
When color matching candys which is what you have start with a good cover coat of base (your silver ) and then match by adding the candy until your happy. Normally the candy is in the inter clear but in touch up it's in the final clear coat. Color sand beyond the repair area and then buff out to a shine. Be careful not to sand though the clear coat, Harley doesn't use a heavy coat of clear. If you have any  questions before sanding or buffing just post or PM me.

November 08, 2017, 09:18:11 PM
Reply #6

bc45

Global Moderator
I got the bag done, wet sand, compound, polish and waxed. It is not perfect if you get close you can still see that there was a repair but if you were standing next to the bike and looked down at it you don't notice it blends in. This is the first time trying paint repair and I am saticesifed how it came out using the touch up paint kit from Harley.
close look

distance if you were standing next to the bike

Thanks @maniacmac  for the advice on Buffing

Now i am off to polish the other sadle bag so it looks as good
Like Like x 2 View List

November 09, 2017, 07:54:32 AM
Reply #7

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Looks great and it must very rewarding knowing you did yourself. If you are not careful you may get the bug to start painting.lol
Like Like x 1 View List

November 09, 2017, 10:05:00 AM
Reply #8

HDBitchin

Administrator
Great work Bob!
HDBitchin aka Tank
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

Agree Agree x 1 View List

November 10, 2017, 02:21:24 PM
Reply #9

WantMore

Supporting Member
Looks like a professional job.
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 1 View List

November 12, 2017, 09:33:20 AM
Reply #10

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Agree! You can add painter to your resume!
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 2 View List

November 15, 2017, 11:10:08 PM
Reply #11

bc45

Global Moderator
Looks great and it must very rewarding knowing you did yourself. If you are not careful you may get the bug to start painting.lol

It was rewarding and a learning experiance.

Thank you

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer