October 21, 2021, 04:11:40 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Pushrod takes a S%$#  (Read 275 times)

April 20, 2021, 12:03:32 PM
Read 275 times

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
Had a slight knock coming from intake side of front cylinder Sooo I said, "time to  pull lifters and see".
When I got in there, " I pulled all the rods and lifters" I was amazed at how little wear was seen.
Anyway, I picked up new lifters, "which non one stocks off the shelft BTW" and new pushrods.
The rod in question has a slight bend to it but, not bad. The rest are straight.
I'll finish this work tomorrow as I decided that using magnet tools would be the good play in re-installing the lifter blocks with the new lifters.
Did not let the thought of re-camming it come into my mind for a moment. :D
BTW, I'm using Valvoline racing 20/50 in this motor for about 5 years now.
It's got a lot of zinc and phosphours in it that the street oils do not have anymore.
Amazon has it cheap.
I"ll report with pics tomorrow.
- Nowhereman
Like Like x 1 View List

April 22, 2021, 08:14:13 PM
Reply #1

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
Well, I have learned one thing.
When you go mod a bike stuffing a motor into a frame that never should have had that motor, you have what I have.
Swapping lifters is a snap but getting to replace the pushrods became a pain in the ass.
I must now remove the rocker covers to replace the pushrods. Not too big a deal but I have 1/4 inch clearance between the down tube from the stem and the rocker covers.
I might have to pull the engine just to swap pushrods. >:(
I'm gettin too old for this.
- Nowhereman

April 22, 2021, 08:38:56 PM
Reply #2

bc45

Global Moderator
That would really be a drag if you had to do that.

October 06, 2021, 12:19:27 PM
Reply #3

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
Update, yes I'm still alive.
Wife had successful back surgery and is 5 weeks into recovery, so I have been busy being nurse Rachet.
Bike is put together and it runs good except for one thing.
I'm getting that knock from the front cylinder some but, when it warms up, it goes away.
Compression is good across both jugs.
Checked pushrods 3 times and they are good.
No exhaust leaks detected.
Unless my Mikuni slide is getting older, I can't figure this one out.
If it was a wrist pin or crank journal it would be there all the time and vibrate something bad.
- Nowhereman

October 08, 2021, 08:32:30 PM
Reply #4

bc45

Global Moderator
You may have a little piston slap, It would go away when it warms up.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

October 18, 2021, 10:08:19 AM
Reply #5

mqqn

Global Moderator
I hope your wife is feeling better, and that your pointy nurse Diesel bra is not too uncomfortable  :))

As you describe it, the knock sounds like something that is just worn a bit and then expands to take up the variance when at running temp (as said above, piston slap maybe).

I hope you get it figured out, those old Evos are very reliable and give a nice long service life.

best

mqqn

October 20, 2021, 07:55:52 AM
Reply #6

Nowhereman

Supporting Member
Friend has a bore scope and came over.
The front cylinder which is making the noise looked better than the rear cylinder.
Just carbon deposits in the front and a light scuff on the wall near the exhaust valve.
The rear has some oil deposits on top of carbon build up. I'm guessing normal rear cylinder wear over the years.
Probably getting close to a top end build but, I'm not in the mood for that right now.
Were getting some light rain here now in central CA; (much needed) so I'll just mess with some site work on one of my Keltecs.
Then, when it's dry I'll take her out to Bevmo to grab a bottle of scotch I've been wanting.
Retirement has been great so far. Keepin busy with lots of projects.
- Nowhereman

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer