December 07, 2021, 05:08:36 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Why the HD Livewire costs $30k  (Read 752 times)

February 21, 2019, 11:36:55 PM
Read 752 times

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
One fellow's spin on it:

https://advrider.com/why-harleys-livewire-costs-almost-30000/

Ron
USArmy War College '68-70, AMA, IB 1K, 2015 SR Run For The Wall FNG

February 22, 2019, 10:25:33 AM
Reply #1

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
I guess Harley must believe that Marijuana is a gateway drug and the LiveWire is a gateway electric motorcycle.  £~¥
Two Lane Highway
Like Like x 1 View List

February 23, 2019, 10:02:58 AM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
From what I have seen Harley-Davidson is approaching the electric motorcycle market in a very deliberate and calculated way. No other company has done what they have done.

1) They launched a fleet of LiveWire prototypes and made them available worldwide for riders to ride and provide feedback.

2) They invested in Alta Motors and then pulled out of that relationship. Why? They won’t say but I think they might have seen Alta having problems and dying when they got behind the scenes. As was recently announced Alta is not coming back and BRP is buying what has value which might not be all that much.

BRP Buying Alta Assets

3) They opened their own research center for electric motorcycles...

New Harley-Davidson Research Facility for Electric Vehicles Announced

4) They have built several concept electric bikes/motorcycles. Harley-Davidson’s Concept Electric Bike(s) This in my opinion shows they are seeing the market as larger than just a “one size fits all”.

I like what was said about the LiveWire being a gateway drug but rather than one door in the gateway I see H-D building several doors.

So while true that the LiveWire is high priced, I think it is just the beginning of what will come from Harley-Davidson as a manufacturer of electric vehicles.
HDBitchin aka Tank

When shopping for anything look for Made in the USA and save American jobs and families

Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2021 All rights reserved.

HDBitchin is a web property of Tank Oils, an Independent AMSOIL Dealer