July 16, 2018, 05:35:50 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: cam chain tensioners  (Read 390 times)

March 18, 2018, 07:18:12 PM
Read 390 times

Ed1949

I have a 2003 Electra Glide with 43000 miles and have never had the shoes looked at.  I am told that after 2006 model year they changed to a  hydraulic cam chain tensioner. Would someone recommend SE over S&S or vice versus?  Now that I am aware that I may be living on borrowed time I think I may have the bearings replaced as well since I have been told Harley bearings are garbage.  I would appreciate opinions on this issue since I now know that this is going to cost between a grand and fifteen hundred.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

March 18, 2018, 07:28:00 PM
Reply #1

j f go

Community Advocate
Welcome to the forum. We are glad that you found us and decided to join. When you get a chance please go to the new members section and introduce yourself so that others here can welcome you as well. There a lots of friendly and knowledgeable people here that are willing to help with your issues. We hope you stop by often and find this site helpful. Someone will be along to help you shortly I'm sure.  :)

March 18, 2018, 08:14:19 PM
Reply #2

HDBitchin

Administrator
Welcome to the forum!

The below linked thread has some information on the S&S Chain Drive Cams and the second post (Reply #1) in that thread has several links to Cams and Cam Chain Tensioner information. I would recommend looking at some of those links in the second post of that topic/thread to get familiar with the spring tensioner design and the changes to the design that H-D made when they introduced the hydraulic version.

Installing Chain Drive Cams (S&S Cycle)
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,2810.0.html

As far as the year that H-D made the change, you are correct, Harley stopped using the spring loaded tensioners and went to hydraulic in 2007. They also changed the tensioner material that rides on the chain. It is supposed to be a better material.

HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

March 19, 2018, 05:50:12 PM
Reply #3

r_k_dragon

Global Moderator
Just did a set on a 2000 Road King(Cliffs) with 55k miles and was lucky!  Decided against going to gear drive, but did go with SE hydraulic w/ high volume oil pump.  Not that familiar with S&S.  No more worries as far as cam chain tensioners!

Primary shoe shows good wear. 

Fourth picture(sorry) shows inner pieces and the fifth shows whats left on the tensioner.  There's not very much left.  The chain was smooth(showing no damaging wear) although the metal part of the tensioner was running against it(just in time(Maybe))!
USARMY 69-71, IB 1K, AZ HOG, PGR, AMA, VVA, RFTW  SR 2015 FNG, 2016 STAGING, 2017 ASST STAGING, 2018 STAGING LEADER

March 19, 2018, 05:54:51 PM
Reply #4

r_k_dragon

Global Moderator
Got to admit SE parts are just NOT plain!  They do good work!  From the previous post.
USARMY 69-71, IB 1K, AZ HOG, PGR, AMA, VVA, RFTW  SR 2015 FNG, 2016 STAGING, 2017 ASST STAGING, 2018 STAGING LEADER

March 19, 2018, 06:07:10 PM
Reply #5

HDBitchin

Administrator
Hey @Ed1949 I found another thread on cam chain tensioner replacement. It was actually a thread that @j f go posted about his brother’s motorcycle. It has a good discussion that you might help you plan your tensioner replacement.

cam chain tensioner replacement 02 SERK ?
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,4123.0.html
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.