July 16, 2018, 05:39:51 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Upcoming Devil's Highway Ride South to North  (Read 2601 times)

April 16, 2018, 10:00:39 AM
Reply #15

HDBitchin

Administrator
Here is a link to the currently active wildfire in the Alpine AZ area that is named the Rattlesnake Fire.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5740
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

April 16, 2018, 10:51:05 AM
Reply #16

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Hmmmm.  Looks like we better keep a close watch on that one.

Ron
Beam me up, Scotty.  There's no intelligent life here.  ;-)

April 16, 2018, 12:05:30 PM
Reply #17

HDBitchin

Administrator
Hmmmm.  Looks like we better keep a close watch on that one.

Ron
Yep, I agree. I saved the link to the website so that if we need up to date info we can check it.
HDBitchin aka Tank 

April 16, 2018, 12:14:31 PM
Reply #18

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Could be a problem.

Per the map, the fire is roughly six miles due west of Hannagan Meadow and has burned about four square miles.  Wind today is out of the SSW, if the reporting is accurate, although the descriptions says the fire backed to the south overnight.

That is some of the forest burned by the Wallow Fire of 2011, which started in this same area.  Perhaps what is burning is the dead timber from that fire plus the new growth. 

At best we can expect smoke and fire fighting traffic.  The Wallow Fire fighting crews were based out of Hannagan Meadow and probably are there also, but Alpine has the closest motels.  We may be bumped out of our room reservations, understandably so, so we should double check.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  Inside of a dog its too dark to read.  Mark Twain

April 16, 2018, 05:56:01 PM
Reply #19

HDBitchin

Administrator
Could be a problem.

Per the map, the fire is roughly six miles due west of Hannagan Meadow and has burned about four square miles.  Wind today is out of the SSW, if the reporting is accurate, although the descriptions says the fire backed to the south overnight.

That is some of the forest burned by the Wallow Fire of 2011, which started in this same area.  Perhaps what is burning is the dead timber from that fire plus the new growth. 

At best we can expect smoke and fire fighting traffic.  The Wallow Fire fighting crews were based out of Hannagan Meadow and probably are there also, but Alpine has the closest motels.  We may be bumped out of our room reservations, understandably so, so we should double check.
@Rider Ron

As we get closer to the Friday departure it might be wise to check with the motel about our room reservation as Bill said above.
HDBitchin aka Tank 

April 16, 2018, 08:04:23 PM
Reply #20

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
I just talked with Fred up there, and we're still good to go at this point.  He said earlier today it was smoky enough that you couldn't see the mountains.  He said the helicopter crews were based out of Hannagan Meadow, but the hotshots are just passing through, not even stopping for food.  He has my phone number in case anything comes up, though.

Ron
Like Like x 1 View List

April 16, 2018, 08:12:15 PM
Reply #21

maniacmac

Global Moderator
That route can bring 100 plus then down 30 degrees and snow all in 100 miles. I never had the good luck to ride it without rain. Dress proper and enjoy your ride wish I could join you but now in the process of moving into our new remodel house.
CARS SUCK!

April 17, 2018, 01:26:08 PM
Reply #22

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
... and repairing your wallet...   >:D

Sorry you can't join us.  Next time!

Ron

April 18, 2018, 11:43:39 AM
Reply #23

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
I'm planning on bringing a brown bag lunch for somewhere north of the mine.  Fine views from up there and the fire smoke should still be north.

See you Friday morning, before 7:30 am.  Oil checked, tires pumped up to spec, and a full tank.  Even washed the bike although that won't last too long.

Bill
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  Inside of a dog its too dark to read.  Mark Twain

April 18, 2018, 02:56:50 PM
Reply #24

HDBitchin

Administrator
Got my brown bag lunch planned and ready to pack.

The bike did not get a wash job. Maybe when we get back.  :)
HDBitchin aka Tank 

April 18, 2018, 07:01:22 PM
Reply #25

r_k_dragon

Global Moderator
I usually pack enough snacks to carry me over most stops, so I'm good to go also!  We'll think about you Dennis and plan seeing you on the next gathering!
You guys know how I am about washing my ride!  Maybe!  We'll see!
USARMY 69-71, IB 1K, AZ HOG, PGR, AMA, VVA, RFTW  SR 2015 FNG, 2016 STAGING, 2017 ASST STAGING, 2018 STAGING LEADER

April 18, 2018, 07:17:05 PM
Reply #26

j f go

Community Advocate
Hope you all have a great time and a safe trip. As usual, I'll be there in spirit. I will say a prayer that you have that hedge of protection necessary to complete your journey safe and sound.  :) 8)
Agree Agree x 2 Like Like x 1 View List

April 19, 2018, 06:16:08 PM
Reply #27

HDBitchin

Administrator
Hope you all have a great time and a safe trip. As usual, I'll be there in spirit. I will say a prayer that you have that hedge of protection necessary to complete your journey safe and sound.  :) 8)
Thanks! We will twist the throttle a few times for you.

For us triple digit desert riders it will be cold. Not by the standards of most but to us it will be felt. Today was 70 degrees in Alpine but it drops down tomorrow and thru the weekend. See the attached picture.

HDBitchin aka Tank 
Like Like x 2 View List

April 19, 2018, 08:02:08 PM
Reply #28

maniacmac

Global Moderator
have a safe and fun ride. enjoy the scenery
CARS SUCK!
Agree Agree x 1 View List

April 19, 2018, 08:03:46 PM
Reply #29

HDBitchin

Administrator
have a safe and fun ride. enjoy the scenery
Thanks Dennis!
HDBitchin aka Tank 

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.