February 20, 2018, 10:26:39 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum

Author Topic: ROUTE 66 RIDE REDUX  (Read 663 times)

February 11, 2018, 10:19:37 AM
Reply #15

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
We continued on past Ed’s Camp and Goldroad, then up and over Sitgreaves Pass.  That is, indeed, a very scenic ride, but also VERY technical.  Do not plan on making time on this stretch of road.  It is tight, twisty, steep, narrow, and there are next to no guardrails or even road shoulders, not to mention few turnouts.  I hate to say it, but if one wanted to truly stop to take in all the scenery along here, you might want to do it in a cage.  That way you could just stop in the middle of the road to take pictures or whatever, traffic permitting.  Trying this on a bike could be difficult because of the slope in the road, and even though the “speed limit” can be 10 or 15 mph, the curves are so tight that an inattentive tourist could come up on you quickly.  There is a nice turnout at the peak, however.  Here are some pics..
Beam me up, Scotty.  There's no intelligent life here.  ;-)
Like Like x 1 View List

February 11, 2018, 10:59:43 AM
Reply #16

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
one more from Sitgreaves Pass facing west.

February 11, 2018, 11:04:48 AM
Reply #17

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
After a brief stop at the top, we headed down into Oatman.  The road west of the summit is even steeper and tighter.  According to some folk, “back in the day”, cars were so under powered that drivers would climb this hill in REVERSE.  Could you imagine creeping down the hill and rounding a curve only to see the back of a car or truck in the oncoming lane?

At the bottom we entered Oatman, famous for the four-legged traffic cops.  It’s a nice place to stop, check out the shops, get a drink and/or meal, gather trinkets, and of course feed the burros.  And if you happen to be there at High Noon, you can witness a gen-u-ine gunfight.  Just like in Tombstone.

That's Bill on the right..  his best profile...
Like Like x 1 View List

February 11, 2018, 11:06:00 AM
Reply #18

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Oatman                                     

Not sure why this is sideways...   It's ok on my hard drive...

February 11, 2018, 11:06:57 AM
Reply #19

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
I have a Legacy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!     >:D

February 11, 2018, 11:11:48 AM
Reply #20

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
After the break, we pressed on down through Topock, AZ, across the Colorado River into California and stopped for lunch and gas ($4.09 a gallon) in Needles.  After that, we followed remnants of the Old Road (National Trails Highway) toward Amboy.  ** Be advised:  You can not follow the Old Road from Fenner (Exit 107 on I-40) directly into Amboy, as it is closed in the old town of Essex.  There are three exits that officially grant you access, but they are all blocked by road construction or ??.  We had to continue further west to the Amboy or Kelbaker Rd exit (#78) then go south to continue our journey.  But we did finally arrive at Roy’s Café, etc.  We walked around, and took a bunch of pictures.  The cabins are open only for use as movie sets, etc, as is the motel office.  The front room is also set up as it might have been way back when (or at least the 50’s).  The gas station was actually open, and the ‘diner’ is decorated in a period manner.  However, they only have bottled drinks and snacks for sale, but they also have a few souvenirs as well.  I bought a t-shirt, of course, as Amboy was the primary focus of this trip.  The remainder of the town is off-limits, but it’s still cool to see what you can.  There is still a Post Office building across the street, but I don’t know if it’s still open.

February 11, 2018, 11:15:32 AM
Reply #21

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Motel office...  Note the rotary phone on the desk, the swag light, phono stereo, etc...

February 11, 2018, 11:17:28 AM
Reply #22

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Post Office                           

February 11, 2018, 11:21:26 AM
Reply #23

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Gas station       .......

February 11, 2018, 11:22:04 AM
Reply #24

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Diner                                     

February 11, 2018, 11:24:30 AM
Reply #25

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
Proverbial flotsam pole.  Not sure it dates back to the 50's, though...

Again, sorry for the sideways view...  ??

February 11, 2018, 11:31:19 AM
Reply #26

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
We headed south then west to Twentynine Palms for the night.  We stayed at the El Rancho Dolores Motel.  It’s an older place, but has been upgraded and is very clean.  They have a pool, but no breakfast.  But they do give you a 15% off card good at the Denny’s down the street.  We ate there and the food and service were good.  We chatted briefly with a guy from Germany with a rental Street Glide.  He was travelling with a guy from the UK on a Sportster.  After breakfast we went south through Joshua Tree National Park.  Pretty interesting.  Bill may chime in here with some geological commentary.  We exited the park on the south end and hopped on I-10 for the churn and burn back to Phoenix, with a lunch and gas stop in Quartzite, AZ.

February 11, 2018, 11:33:53 AM
Reply #27

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
In the park, the Joshua trees weren't the only things clamoring for our attention...

February 11, 2018, 11:35:28 AM
Reply #28

Rider Ron

Supporting Member
All in all, it was a great ride.  I logged 875 miles.  The weather was great although cool in the Flagstaff area and in the mornings.  Traffic was really decent except for in Sedona.  They must have been hosting a convention of butt heads or something.  Now, I am one for exploring out of the way places, back roads, etc.  But we went through places where it was desolate enough to be sort of creepy.  Like some people have said, out there your mind starts playing games with you.  For instance, you start hearing new noises from the motor, or ???  Just sayin’.  You wonder how or why some people live out there.  But to each his own.

Anywise, thanks for listening.

February 11, 2018, 03:29:12 PM
Reply #29

r_k_dragon

Global Moderator
Nicely done!  Thanks! 
RFTW ATW SR 2015 FNG
2016 ADVANCE TEAM STAGING
2017 ASST STAGING TEAM LDR/TG
2018 STAGING CREW LEADER

The Harley Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.