September 18, 2018, 10:49:25 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Motorcycle Rider Training Videos  (Read 615 times)

January 12, 2018, 11:38:50 AM
Read 615 times

HDBitchin

Administrator
I would say that we probably have members here on HDBitchin with rider experience that runs from beginner to 50+ years behind the Bars.

Note: A word to the older riders, those with many years of experience that think they know it all, you really should think again.

We have a thread over in the Polls, Polls and More Polls section of the forum that asks Have you completed a formal motorcycle training class? and that Thread/Poll shows that 56.6% of us have completed a formal motorcycle training course. Here is a link to that Poll which is related to this topic, Rider Training Videos.

POLL: Have you completed a formal motorcycle training class?
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,1100.0.html

An alternative to those "bring your motorcycle" instructor led classes would be videos. Some of these videos are really well done and you might look into them.

These video makers are hoping to sell you something but they also offer some really good free content on their websites and YouTube channels. Here are two that I have knowledge of. Maybe you know more and if you do, share what you know by adding a post to this thread.

MCrider

https://www.patreon.com/MCrider

https://www.youtube.com/user/kevinmorris22/featured

Ride Like a Pro Jerry Palladino

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/motorman857/featured
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation
Informative Informative x 1 View List

January 12, 2018, 05:53:36 PM
Reply #1

r_k_dragon

Global Moderator
All good stuff!  Local HOGs having a practice session a week from Sunday.  It's all for your safety and everyone else!  Nice videos Larry, thanks!
USARMY 69-71, IB 1K, AZ HOG, PGR, AMA, VVA, RFTW  SR 2015 FNG, 2016 STAGING, 2017 ASST STAGING, 2018 STAGING LEADER
Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 1 View List

January 13, 2018, 08:38:25 AM
Reply #2

WantMore

Supporting Member
Agree with @r_k_dragon that is good stuff. You should never stop learning or practicing safety on your motorcycle.
Smoke em if you got em
Agree Agree x 2 View List

January 21, 2018, 07:42:10 PM
Reply #3

BuzzCap7

Just because someone has been riding for a bazillion years, it does not at all mean that they know how to control or have mastered the skills of riding.

Longevity means only that. A rider has been riding a long time.  Longevity does not make you better.  Also when you are talking about longevity, does that mean the rider was riding for 40 years but only 1,500 miles a year?  Maybe less?  And maybe the rider did not even have a bike for 15 of those years. ????

How often does a rider really practice the skills of motorcycle proficiency like the Jerry Palladio Video?

How often does a rider practice emergency maneuvers?

The best way to learn something is to teach it.  When someone learns how to master their bike like REALLY KNOWING and USING the proper riding methods/skills, maybe they should teach the skills.  That would be good for the teacher as well as the students.

On another point........how many accidents are there that could (and should) have been avoided??  <-- Now THAT is a GREAT question.

It is amazing on how many riders I talk with and it is NEVER their fault.  Really??  Wow, that is pretty amazing.

I am 'juss say'n..........

IMHO EVERYONE riding should master control of their bikes.  Be it the Jerry Palladino class or even watch his Ride Like A Pro video and go to a parking lot and practice the skills he teaches. And ALL Law Enforcement Motormen must learn/master.

It is embarrassing to see so many riders that do not know jack about how to ride. And that includes (and sometimes especially includes) those who have been riding for a bazillion years.

BuzzCap7
IBA #47057
I Ride Like I Am An Avatar In A Video Game & Everyone Is Trying To Kill Me.
"Superior Riders Rarely Get Themselves Into Situations Requiring Superior Skills."
The Stronger Your Belief System The Less You Know
Like Like x 1 View List

January 21, 2018, 08:51:22 PM
Reply #4

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

@BuzzCap7,

I think this line in your signature says a lot, "Superior Riders Rarely Get Themselves Into Situations Requiring Superior Skills."

I don't consider myself a "Superior" rider, it's still something that I aspire to.  I still have some learning to do.

Cheers,
Ferrous
Like Like x 1 View List

January 22, 2018, 05:57:54 AM
Reply #5

BuzzCap7

@BuzzCap7,

I think this line in your signature says a lot, "Superior Riders Rarely Get Themselves Into Situations Requiring Superior Skills."

I don't consider myself a "Superior" rider, it's still something that I aspire to.  I still have some learning to do.

Cheers,
Ferrous

FB, thanks mate. That was such a nice thing to say.  It also speaks toward your not trying to feed an ego or have a self image problem.  Hat's off to you!!

BuzzCap7
IBA #47057
I Ride Like I Am An Avatar In A Video Game & Everyone Is Trying To Kill Me.
"Superior Riders Rarely Get Themselves Into Situations Requiring Superior Skills."
The Stronger Your Belief System The Less You Know
Like Like x 1 View List

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.