April 22, 2018, 11:00:15 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum

Author Topic: Rear tire and brakes  (Read 843 times)

January 07, 2018, 07:45:22 AM
Read 843 times

j f go

Community Advocate
Good morning all. Going to be putting a new Avon Cobra 72 on the rear of my Heritage. I will be changing out the rear brakes at the same time, or a least my brother will. I've got 62k on my bike and was wondering if I should be considering changing out the wheel bearings, and if so, what brand might you recommend. Thanks, and as always any info is welcome.

January 07, 2018, 08:37:11 AM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
Inspection will tell you when they should be replaced.

The manual says to replace wheel bearings for that year Heritage if end play is outside of 0.002 to 0.006 inches as measured by a magnetic base dial indicator when wheel is on the motorcycle. With the wheel removed, continue to check the wheel bearings as follows:
a. Insert finger into wheel bearing and rotate the inner race in both directions. Repeat step on opposite side of wheel.
b. Replace the wheel bearings if there is drag, rough rotation, abnormal noise or anything unusual.

HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

January 07, 2018, 09:04:00 AM
Reply #2

maniacmac

Global Moderator
There's not much difference between OEM and after market pricing on the bearings, I would use OEM
CARS SUCK!
Like Like x 1 View List

January 07, 2018, 09:13:56 AM
Reply #3

j f go

Community Advocate
Ok thanks.  :)

January 07, 2018, 11:50:04 AM
Reply #4

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator

For what it's worth... just my opinion.

I'm due for another rear tire very soon also on the Softail.  While I have the rear wheel out I believe I'll replace the rear bearings, "just because".  They have almost 50K on them, and, I don't think it could hurt anything.
  I think it might be cheap insurance.

Cheers,
Ferrous
Agree Agree x 2 View List

January 07, 2018, 12:17:19 PM
Reply #5

j f go

Community Advocate
That's what I was thinking too. Couldn't hurt, and for 40 bucks and already apart, why not ?
Agree Agree x 1 View List

January 07, 2018, 04:55:33 PM
Reply #6

FerrousBueller

Global Moderator
That's what I was thinking too. Couldn't hurt, and for 40 bucks and already apart, why not ?

My thinking exactly!

Cheers,
Ferrous

January 09, 2018, 09:54:10 PM
Reply #7

bc45

Global Moderator
Sounds like a good plan, post some pictures while you do the job.

January 10, 2018, 05:51:10 AM
Reply #8

j f go

Community Advocate
Sounds like a good plan, post some pictures while you do the job.
Hey @bc45 , I won't be there till after it gets done. My brother does it before I get there so it doesn't take up valuable riding time. That way if there are any other issues they get addressed before I get there. It's worked out good so far, for me anyways. :) 8)

January 10, 2018, 08:58:39 PM
Reply #9

bc45

Global Moderator
Hey @bc45 , I won't be there till after it gets done. My brother does it before I get there so it doesn't take up valuable riding time. That way if there are any other issues they get addressed before I get there. It's worked out good so far, for me anyways. :) 8)

Sounds like a pretty good Brother to do that for you.
Agree Agree x 2 View List

January 11, 2018, 06:40:45 AM
Reply #10

j f go

Community Advocate
Sounds like a pretty good Brother to do that for you.
  Isn't that what little brothers are for, doing what the big brother wants ? LOL Yeah, he is a good brother and we like to play together when I'm there. He's a stay at home dad and when I'm there that's like his vacation time. And besides that I wouldn't want to be responsible for "Idle Hands", if you know what I mean. Gotta keep them youngin's out of trouble, but lets not let him know. }= :)

January 17, 2018, 04:13:43 PM
Reply #11

j f go

Community Advocate
Update: The new rear tire, brake pads and wheel bearing and seals have been installed. It is already to ride. Another 10 day's and I'll be there enjoying the sunshine. Can't freakin wait.  :)

January 17, 2018, 05:43:49 PM
Reply #12

HDBitchin

Administrator
Update: The new rear tire, brake pads and wheel bearing and seals have been installed. It is already to ride. Another 10 day's and I'll be there enjoying the sunshine. Can't freakin wait.  :)
Great News! You will be in a warm wind soon.  :)

Take it easy on the new rear tire for first few miles. I know you know why but for anyone that doesn’t this might help you understand about the breaking in of new motorcycle tires.

https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,171.msg48529.html#msg48529
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

January 17, 2018, 06:29:30 PM
Reply #13

j f go

Community Advocate
Thank you for the reminder.  :)
Like Like x 1 View List

The Harley Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.