January 16, 2018, 04:29:40 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum

Author Topic: Cutting The Cord Discussion  (Read 886 times)

December 23, 2017, 09:21:48 AM
Reply #15

mqqn

Global Moderator
Thanks Larry -

I would add that the dual-band routers are not as capable as a tri-band - which I just switched from a dual band which was significantly slower in my situation than the tri-band. This comes into play when multiple devices are using the lan.

I typically have 11/12 devices connected in my lan, with two firesticks and two phones and three computers.

I personally prefer separate devices for modem and router rather than converged, as that allows me more flexibility.

best

mqqn

December 23, 2017, 10:01:26 AM
Reply #16

Webbtron

Global Moderator
@mqqn
Thanks Andy I have had to move My Roku to the other side of the TV.  I believe I have found a sweet spot, hahaha.  This tv is old, like a 2003 32" sharp aquos led it was crazy high priced for one of the first liquid crystal tv out.  But it has limits now.  I have no doubts an upgrade would be a benefit.  Other than that thanks, mostly to Tank we are very satisfied and my wife was a staunch nay sayer, so to sway her took some doing.  Found Grit TV over the air solid channel for old westerns, it is a sub station of NBC here.  I've stayed inside Comcasts GIG limit using a little over a third of their 1024 Gig allowed.  Not sure what would happen when I go over that.
It was then I knew I'd had enough, Burned my credit card for fuel.   Headed out to where the pavement  turns to sand.  With a one-way ticket to the land of truth  And my suitcase in my hand. How I lost my friends I still don't understand.

January 06, 2018, 10:55:29 AM
Reply #17

Webbtron

Global Moderator
I subscribed to the NHL streaming app, mostly because it was such a great price $49.99 for all the out of market games, till the end of the season.  I love watching hockey, the national games are blacked out and the Avalanche home games but still plenty to watch for $50 from now till September.  I think I'll get the Avs away games but they are on a home stand so don't really know for certain.  I can see a reply of the home games after 48 hours.
     Other than that we are still satisfied, I see Comcast is making good on their price increases and they did increase my speed to 60 mbps (up from 55).  Not sure when my internet price increase will happen.  So it goes.
     I came back to mention that this is a Roku app.  Not available for Amazon fire stick.
It was then I knew I'd had enough, Burned my credit card for fuel.   Headed out to where the pavement  turns to sand.  With a one-way ticket to the land of truth  And my suitcase in my hand. How I lost my friends I still don't understand.

January 11, 2018, 05:42:10 AM
Reply #18

mqqn

Global Moderator
I installed a new "build" for Kodi - nolimitsbuilds.com/kodi

Works pretty well - the only thing that I need to figure out is that it does not have the casewell / pro sports video add-on, which has been where I could view all of the NHL out of market games, which is really all I watch in the way of sports anymore.

One of my buddies here in town has or had a Roku and liked it.

In the "the more you know" category, I recently installed the new Asus super-mega wifi router and have been watching the lan pretty close. I notice phone devices "connected" to the network here and there and thought I was getting hacked via some Asus cloud storage software or something.

A little research and I discovered that what I was seeing was people driving by the house with their phones searching for wifi - and they negotiate with my new router and show up for a minute or two until they time out - and they are never really connected since they don't have my password, but I still see them as a newtwork device -

Anyway - thought that was interesting in a geeky sort of way.

best

mqqn

The Harley Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.