December 10, 2017, 07:02:36 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum

Author Topic: I turn ignition switch on and there is no power to anything and bike won't start  (Read 1059 times)

October 10, 2017, 11:16:52 AM
Read 1059 times

Greg P.

I have a 2006 Ultra Classic 88 with a problem. I took my battery tender off the bike so I could take it out for a ride. When I turned on the ignition switch to start it there was no power going to the gauges, headlight, starter button, nothing. When I turn the switch off it sounds like there is something under the dash resetting or shutting down. I've checked all fuses including the Mega Fuse. The battery connections are all good and tight. The battery is fully charged. I've tried to use the security Dongle and turned the turn signals on and off several times as well as turning the ignition on and off several times with no results. WHAT AM I MISSING? Is there a relay that inside that isn't working to send power to the system? Any ideas? I'll take any help I can get.  ^*?

October 10, 2017, 12:17:47 PM
Reply #1

HDBitchin

Administrator
Is there voltage coming out of the maxifuse? The voltage that comes out of the maxifuse goes to the ignition switch and from the ignition switch it will output power to other fuses such as the ignition fuse and battery fuse. Look for power on those two fuses. If you have power to those fuses (ignition and battery) then you can rule out the ignition switch and maxifuse. If you are not seeing power at those two fuses then your issue is the ignition switch and possibly the maxifuse even though you say it was checked as good. 

HDBitchin aka Tank          Start your Bitchin!!
Need DIY Help? Follow this link...The Harley School of Hard Knocks @ HDBitchin»

October 10, 2017, 01:22:43 PM
Reply #2

j f go

Community Advocate
You could very well have voltage but it sounds to me like you have either lost your ground or, more than likely, your battery is done. No amperage to start the bike. Take your battery and have it load tested and you will know. It's really the best place to start, IMHO. Also, I'd like to welcome you to the forum and glad you found us. There are some really friendly and knowledgeable people here that are willing to help you. When you get a moment we would ask that you go to the new members section and introduce yourself, as many here would like to welcome you as well. We hope you get this issue resolved and we look forward to helping you. Again, welcome.  :) 8)

October 10, 2017, 01:28:49 PM
Reply #3

Greg P.

So I checked every fuse, Maxi included and they are all good. The only thing I haven't checked is the System Relay and Security Module. My security system comes on when I use the Dongle so I think it might be the System Relay. I will take it out and go to the Harley shop and see if they can test it. I will come back and let you know the results. Thanks for your interest and help. Hope this gets figured out so we have a series of tests to isolate this issue for others in the future.

October 10, 2017, 01:57:24 PM
Reply #4

j f go

Community Advocate
So I checked every fuse, Maxi included and they are all good. The only thing I haven't checked is the System Relay and Security Module. My security system comes on when I use the Dongle so I think it might be the System Relay. I will take it out and go to the Harley shop and see if they can test it. I will come back and let you know the results. Thanks for your interest and help. Hope this gets figured out so we have a series of tests to isolate this issue for others in the future.
  Relay is easy to check yourself if you have an ohm meter. You Tube videos explain it quite well. Do you have a shop manual ? If not it really is worth the investment.

October 10, 2017, 03:07:11 PM
Reply #5

Greg P.

So I replaced the relay & nothing happened. Then I started throwing the ignition switch on and off really fast all the way to accessory. Left it on accessory for a couple minutes then flipped off and back to accessory and gauge lites came on and radio cycled on & off until I got volume turned down to one bar. No head lite or turn signals and start button didn't start it. Next I turned off the ignition and back on to accessory and this time only lites that came on were Cruise & Accessory Switch LED's. Almost got it but not enough. Now what?? Reset the computer??  ^*?

October 10, 2017, 03:50:33 PM
Reply #6

HDBitchin

Administrator
What is the battery voltage? It really sounds like the battery voltage is not enough to do a proper start.

I would start with the basics. Ensure you have a good 12.75 volts coming from the battery.   

I am not sure when you say that you have good fuses if you are visually inspecting, ohming them with a meter or checking for voltage but the voltage method check is best IMO.

Looking at a wiring diagram it looks like the fuses that will always show voltage are the Radio Memory, Battery and ECM Power fuses. Those 3 fuses are always powered or hot. The fuses that get powered when the ignition switch is rotated to “on” will be Cruise/Brake, Accessory, Radio Power, INSTRS and Ignition.

The ECM will not enable the System Relay unless you have sufficient battery voltage to power the ECM. As j f go said, good power (battery) is a must have and load testing might be best to determine that the battery is good.

The security system that you are witnessing working is on the Battery fuse which is always hot (powered). The Security system might appear to be good even with a low or bad battery.

Do you hear the fuel pump? The System Relay which is really better called the EFI relay is responsible for energizing the Fuel Pump fuse which feeds power to the Fuel Pump. When things are working properly you should hear the fuel pump run to bring the fuel PSI up when the Ignition is switched to On and the Run/Stop switch is switched to Run. The fuel pump will only come alive if the ECM enables it when the Run/Stop switch is switched to Run. Once again good power at the ECM is very important or the EFI (Fuel Pump) will not work.

Here is some info on battery checks...

AGM Battery Care and Maintenance - DIY
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,195.0.html

October 10, 2017, 07:00:45 PM
Reply #7

bc45

Global Moderator
agree check and see what the battery voltage If voltage is good then turn the key on and see what the voltage is.

October 10, 2017, 08:01:56 PM
Reply #8

Lumpster7n6

A friend of mine had a similar problem, it turned out to be the key fob battery was dead. It started out that the bike would shut off for no apparent reason then he couldn't start it at all.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

October 10, 2017, 08:34:22 PM
Reply #9

bc45

Global Moderator
A friend of mine had a similar problem, it turned out to be the key fob battery was dead. It started out that the bike would shut off for no apparent reason then he couldn't start it at all.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

If you have  a fob when you turn the ignition to on dose the red security light flash rapidly ? if so the security is not picking up the Fob. but that would not cause the clicking you are hearing

October 10, 2017, 08:52:20 PM
Reply #10

HDBitchin

Administrator
I just went out to my Electra Glide without the security FOB and turned the ignition On and turned the Run/Stop switch to Run. When I turned the ignition on the red security light stopped flashing and went on steady. Also at this point the turn signals started the alternating flashing that the security system is designed to do. I have no siren so that was not going off.

But other noteworthy things that were happening was the lights were all on (headlights and taillights), dash gauges were illuminated and when the switch was set to the Run position the fuel pump ran and pressurized the fuel injection. Hit the start button and no crank (as expected).

In the case of @Greg P. he has no headlights/taillights and the dash lamps are not illuminating. Low or weak battery is my feeling on this one since he gets no dash lights or other lights.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

October 11, 2017, 04:39:05 PM
Reply #11

r_k_dragon

Global Moderator
I have a 2006 Ultra Classic 88 with a problem. I took my battery tender off the bike so I could take it out for a ride. When I turned on the ignition switch to start it there was no power going to the gauges, headlight, starter button, nothing. When I turn the switch off it sounds like there is something under the dash resetting or shutting down. I've checked all fuses including the Mega Fuse. The battery connections are all good and tight. The battery is fully charged. I've tried to use the security Dongle and turned the turn signals on and off several times as well as turning the ignition on and off several times with no results. WHAT AM I MISSING? Is there a relay that inside that isn't working to send power to the system? Any ideas? I'll take any help I can get.  ^*?

So you say, "The battery connections are all good and tight. The battery is fully charged."
Removing your battery for load testing, will give you a look at those "good and tight" connections just in case you have some corrosion and tell you the battery is REALLY good!  Just my $0.02 worth.
2015 RFTW ATW SR FNG
2016 RFTW SR STAGING TEAM
2017 RFTW SR ASST STAGING TEAM LDR/TG

October 12, 2017, 08:13:07 AM
Reply #12

Greg P.

So many thanks to HD Bitchen (Net Nanny). /" And all the other members that offered their help. After chasing my tail all over the bike and bothering friends and shops, it came down to just one test when nothing comes on when you turn your ignition on. If your battery is more than 3 years old the first thing you do is,
1) Hook a volt meter to the battery terminals and read the voltage.
2) Turn the ignition switch on and see if the voltage drops down low, and rapidly.
If this occurs, then the battery needs to be replaced. This is a great oppertunity for you to replace the batteries in your security fob/fobs to keep them fresh and working as well.
I tested, it dropped, I replaced, MY BIKE WORKS AGAIN!!!!! MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!
P.S. Keep about $150 on hand for a new battery with great cranking amps and two stud battery posts for accessory connections. Don't buy a cheaper battery at discount. You won't be saving money buying junk.
Agree Agree x 1 Like Like x 2 View List

October 12, 2017, 08:52:57 AM
Reply #13

HDBitchin

Administrator
Thanks for the follow up on the issue. HDBitchin Rep (Karma) points awarded to you for the follow up!

October 12, 2017, 10:14:40 AM
Reply #14

j f go

Community Advocate
Glad it got resolved. Batteries are the number one offender when things aren't working, at least that has been my experience. Good your back on the road, for sure.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

The Harley Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2017 All rights reserved.