December 12, 2017, 12:46:55 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum

Author Topic: Having problems with my bike dying sometimes when I come to a stop or slow down. It acts like it's  (Read 2058 times)

August 09, 2017, 01:59:00 PM
Reply #15

HDBitchin

Administrator
Below is a picture attachment of the Induction Module for your Magneti-Marelli EFI that you will have on the 2003 Fatboy. That picture shows the IAC.

I also linked below another thread that talks about cleaning the IAC. That thread talks about the Delphi version of the fuel injection that HD put on the 2004 and newer years but cleaning in general will be similar between the two versions of the fuel injection.

You are looking for an air port at the 12 o'clock position in the intake module. That port might be gummed up.

Cleaning the IAC (Idle Air Control) DIY
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,140.0.html

Have you ever seen the CEL (check engine light) come on? If so you might have an error code that might help get you going in the right direction. Here is a thread on checking the error codes...

DTC List for 2003 and Older Harleys
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,1426.0.html

One more thing. You can never have too much info!!

Harley Davidson Magneti Marelli Fuel Injection Settings - DIY 
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,1829.0.html

The above DIY topic talks about adjusting the Throttle Position Sensor to achieve a proper cold and warm idle on the Magneti Marelli Fuel Injection System.

HDBitchin aka Tank          Start your Bitchin!!
Need DIY Help? Follow this link...The Harley School of Hard Knocks @ HDBitchin»

August 11, 2017, 12:40:21 AM
Reply #16

CZ83

Absolutely love your patch!!! Ride safe for the King!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

August 11, 2017, 08:27:07 PM
Reply #17

reddog7172

Absolutely love your patch!!! Ride safe for the King!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Brother, and I do. God is good !

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Agree Agree x 1 View List

August 14, 2017, 07:54:00 AM
Reply #18

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
Hoping to hear good news on the issue. Any news @reddog7172 ?

August 18, 2017, 09:46:43 AM
Reply #19

reddog7172

Hoping to hear good news on the issue. Any news @reddog7172 ?
I cleaner the IAC with carburator cleaner also cleaned my K&N air filer real good, took it for a 30 mile test run and up to this point it seems to have worked.  I am over joyed about this as I have been dealing with this problem for awhile. Thank all you guys for the help, I'm pretty sure it worked, it's running great !!!

Like Like x 3 View List

August 18, 2017, 10:27:28 AM
Reply #20

HDBitchin

Administrator
That is great news! Thanks for the follow up. What was said here and your confirmation of the fix will serve to help others.

August 18, 2017, 08:05:50 PM
Reply #21

bc45

Global Moderator
It good to see it worked out, thanks for posting the fix.

August 19, 2017, 07:08:18 AM
Reply #22

j f go

Community Advocate
Glad that did the trick. I did that for a couple of years but ended up changing it out as it just didn't stay "fixed " long. Seems the need to spray the IAC was more and more something that had to be done. If I had known how much better the response would be, from the throttle, I would have changed it out sooner. When it gets to a point that it gets to be an "every time before I ride" type of scenario, change it out. You will be amazed at how much nicer the throttle response is. ;D 8)
Like Like x 1 View List

August 19, 2017, 07:12:42 AM
Reply #23

reddog7172

Glad that did the trick. I did that for a couple of years but ended up changing it out as it just didn't stay "fixed " long. Seems the need to spray the IAC was more and more something that had to be done. If I had known how much better the response would be, from the throttle, I would have changed it out sooner. When it gets to a point that it gets to be an "every time before I ride" type of scenario, change it out. You will be amazed at how much nicer the throttle response is. ;D 8)
Yes, I'm getting ready to order a new one this week, and put it on there.  Thank all of you brothers for your help. God bless !

Like Like x 2 View List

August 23, 2017, 10:40:03 AM
Reply #24

reddog7172

Yes, I'm getting ready to order a new one this week, and put it on there.  Thank all of you brothers for your help. God bless !

My bike is acting up again, it did good for that first day, but then i went to town it would just start dying when i would gear down and start to stop, and it just died like three different time, and took over 10 minutes to get it started back up.  While trying to start it back up i could smell a real rich fuel smell.  I ordered a new IAC, but it hasn't got here yet, i'm gonna put it on and see if that helps.  Anymore ideas from anyone ?

August 23, 2017, 10:50:37 AM
Reply #25

AbueloBill

Supporting Member
Don't know this helps but I had the same or similar issue with my '07 Dyna.

I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway where I would accelerate from an overlook and almost immediately afterwards pull into the next.  When accelerating and then going fully off the throttle she would sometimes cut out.  Acted like I was 'getting ahead' of the throttle command, and if I recall correctly, there was a gas smell.  Assumed the engine flooded.

My 'solution' was to ease off the acceleration.  Didn't have the issue again.

Bill
Inside every old man is a young man wondering what happened.

August 23, 2017, 12:47:22 PM
Reply #26

HDBitchin

Administrator
In an earlier post you said that you changed a TPS. Which is why I mentioned this DIY thread earlier. Have a look at this.

Harley Davidson Magneti Marelli Fuel Injection Settings - DIY 
https://hdbitchin.com/index.php/topic,1829.0.html

The above DIY topic talks about adjusting the Throttle Position Sensor to achieve a proper cold and warm idle on the Magneti Marelli Fuel Injection System.

August 23, 2017, 01:10:54 PM
Reply #27

reddog7172

Thank you, I needed that information on the TPS, i been looking for that info. 

August 23, 2017, 02:07:16 PM
Reply #28

j f go

Community Advocate
Make sure you turn the switch off so that the IAC will reset. If you don't it will not want to start. At least that is what I found. I would shut it off for a few minutes and it would start right up. Hope this helps. :) 8)

August 23, 2017, 04:47:59 PM
Reply #29

reddog7172

Make sure you turn the switch off so that the IAC will reset. If you don't it will not want to start. At least that is what I found. I would shut it off for a few minutes and it would start right up. Hope this helps. :) 8)
Thanks Man.

The Harley Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2017 All rights reserved.