October 19, 2017, 04:43:10 PM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum

Author Topic: throttle sticking-not the cable  (Read 4544 times)

August 26, 2016, 04:47:44 PM
Reply #15

maniacmac

Global Moderator
Thanks for the feed back
CARS SUCK!

August 27, 2016, 07:35:34 PM
Reply #16

j f go

Community Advocate
Thanks for the feed back
My pleasure.  8)

June 15, 2017, 05:33:29 PM
Reply #17

j f go

Community Advocate
Finally got a new IAC valve to replace the old one. Tired of spraying the carb cleaner and the hi idle when coming to a stop. Was wondering if there was a video here somewhere that would show me how. I have the service manual but would like to see it done, if possible. Was also wondering if this would be a good time to redirect the oil line that puts oil in the throttle body and if is what would be the procedure for it. Thanks for any input. Rick

June 15, 2017, 07:15:53 PM
Reply #18

HDBitchin

Administrator
I have not seen a video on doing a IAC R&R. I did a Google search and couldn't find one either.

It would be a good time to do a breather bypass kit or a catch can type of kit while you are in there.

If you do a Google search you will find many solutions. Here are a few ways to search it...
Harley breather bypass
Harley Davidson breather kit
Harley Twin Cam rocker box breather
Harley breather catch can

HDBitchin aka Tank          Start your Bitchin!!
Need DIY Help? Follow this link...The Harley School of Hard Knocks @ HDBitchin»

June 15, 2017, 07:23:56 PM
Reply #19

j f go

Community Advocate
Thanks Tank, I will check it out. :) 8)

June 18, 2017, 05:20:09 PM
Reply #20

j f go

Community Advocate
Changed out the IAC valve in my 07 SERK today. I'm not sure how many years these are in but the 07 and 08's for sure. With the service manual it went rather smooth. I'm going to list how I went about doing it in case someone else would like to do it themselves. Because you will need to drain the fuel tank try to run as much of the fuel out before you begin. Also make sure your motor is cool as well. First I removed the air filter, then I removed the 15 amp fuse for the fuel pump,which is located under the right side cover. Start the motor and let it run out of fuel. Next you will need a 5/16 diameter piece of hose with 3 hose clamps and 2 bolts that will fit snugly into the end of the hose. You need these items in order to drain the fuel tank. It will be a lot easier to drain and remove the tank if you have some help. After you have drained the tank disconnect the fuel line from under the left side of the tank. The manual says you only need to partially remove the tank but it will be a much easier procedure if you just get it out of the way. After you have drained the tank unbolt the gauge console from the tank and just lay in on a blanket on the rear fender gauges side down. Disconnect the breather tube from the tank. Lift the tank enough to disconnect the electrical connector under the tank. Completely remove the tank from the bike. Next you will need to remove the Front Stabilizer Link. This needs to be removed in order to have access to the inside screw that is holding the plate that holds the IAC valve in place. Unplug the electrical connection from the IAC valve.  Then you will need a T-15 hexagonal "Alan" style wrench ( the longer the better) and remove these two screws from the plate that holds the IAC valve in place. After you remove the screws lift the plate straight up as much as you can, which won't be much, then tilt it at about 45 degrees towards the frame and at about the 2 o clock position til it goes over the IAC valve. (It's very tight getting it over the top of the IAC valve.) Remove the valve. Make sure the old "O" ring comes out of there and clean up the area as much as possible. Put a thin layer of oil on the new "O" ring and install the new IAC valve. put a little di-electric gel om the exposed ports of the electrical connector before you plug it back into the IAC valve. Now go ahead and put it back together. My friend and I did this on his lift and with two of us it took about four hours. Hope this will help someone down the road.  ;D 8)
Informative Informative x 2 View List

June 19, 2017, 09:14:27 PM
Reply #21

bc45

Global Moderator
Thanks for the feed back and write up on your project.

June 22, 2017, 04:01:59 PM
Reply #22

j f go

Community Advocate
Thanks for the feed back and write up on your project.
   You're welcome. Maybe it will make the DIY section. 8)

June 22, 2017, 07:30:40 PM
Reply #23

HDBitchin

Administrator
   You're welcome. Maybe it will make the DIY section. 8)
It is good info. I will pull it over as a DIY tip this weekend.  ;)
HDBitchin aka Tank          Start your Bitchin!!
Need DIY Help? Follow this link...The Harley School of Hard Knocks @ HDBitchin»

The Harley Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2017 All rights reserved.