August 15, 2018, 11:35:32 AM
HDBitchin, a Harley Davidson Forum
Cookie Settings

Author Topic: Understanding Throttle By Wire DTCs P2135 and P2101 - DIY  (Read 1837 times)

May 08, 2014, 09:20:56 AM
Read 1837 times

HDBitchin

Administrator
The 2008 and up models are equipped with a Throttle By Wire (TBW) system. Harley has seen DTCs P2135 and P2101 diagnostic codes that can be due to electrical connector contact fretting. Attached is a Tech Tip (TT418) that details the issues that have been seen and what you should do if you have the DTCs associated with this failure.

HDBitchin, an HD Forum (a Harley Davidson Forum)
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

May 08, 2014, 02:40:38 PM
Reply #1

r_k_dragon

Global Moderator
Glad to see my 96 isn't top of the watch list!  Good stuff!  Thanks!
USARMY 69-71, IB 1K, AZ HOG, PGR, AMA, VVA, RFTW  SR 2015 FNG, 2016 STAGING, 2017 ASST STAGING, 2018 STAGING LEADER

May 24, 2014, 05:58:38 PM
Reply #2

bc45

Global Moderator
If you have those codes, I did on my 09 FLHTCU. Try some stabilant 22. it enhances electrical connections. It worked on my 09. I have used it at work on a number of occasions. Micro connectors have been in use in Automobiles for some years now and have had problems. To fined out more of stabilant 22 try these stabilant.com/tech02.htm or stabilant.com/appnt20h.htm   I would use stabilant 22 before replacing the pins. O'Reilly's Auto parts has there own version but I cant remember the part name or #.

June 02, 2014, 08:33:33 PM
Reply #3

bc45

Global Moderator
The Napa derivative of stabilant 22 is Echlin part # is CL-1

May 14, 2018, 01:35:55 PM
Reply #4

David Barnby

Hi, old thread and my first post but found the thread while phone googling stuck on the side of a scary German Autobahn last week.  Was returning after a 400Km day in the Alps with the sun going down, all well with world until the engine (2010 FLHTK) faded to nothing at 160KPH.  I had to coast across three lanes of fast traffic and luckily found a spot to stop that was indented from the driving lanes.  I have a power vision on the bars so found the DTC codes that when googled took me to this thread.  However, I couldn’t really find the said connector and as a non member didn’t get the pdf download so googled on.  Some took me behind the batwing, some had me wiggling cables to to throttle and the best said “have a smoke, wait until it cools down and it will be fine”. So is what I did and sure enough, she fired up under full power and I was off again.  Unfortunately had to cycle through this a dozen times and it was getting dark and dangerous with safe stopping places harder and harder to find.

The PV told me that the ECU was in “low power management mode” which it does when it thinks the engine is in danger if run normally but gives enough power to roll the bike on the flat at idle.  As per the DTC, the TPS was out of sync (as per the PDF- wrong voltage across terminals).  This LPM mode is also known as “Limp Mode” which is a good description.

Anyway, is you get these DTCs it may well follow up with Limp Mode in a difficult situation.  I gave up, left the Autobahn when I could and got the bike hauled to a dealer.  Fix was repairing one of the wires to the connector the PDF refers to (just behind the air filter.  Probably wiggling it would have got me home.  Apparently the turn on the cable loom  is too tight as it comes round into the TCM connector and over time the vibes get to it.  Can also be that same vibe causes the connector pin failures described in the PDF.

Whatever,  when you get that Limp feeling......
Like Like x 1 View List

May 28, 2018, 07:51:49 AM
Reply #5

NoSuperSlabs

Supporting Member
@David Barnby

That is a great real life example of the issue. Thanks for sharing.

It is also a good example of how important it is to be a member here. Attachments are only seen by logged in members. You found that out the hard way.
Two Lane Highway
Agree Agree x 1 View List

May 29, 2018, 07:37:14 AM
Reply #6

HDBitchin

Administrator
@David Barnby

That is a great real life example of the issue. Thanks for sharing.

It is also a good example of how important it is to be a member here. Attachments are only seen by logged in members. You found that out the hard way.
It is a great real life example.

And now that you are a HDB family member @David Barnby we hope to see you online more often.
HDBitchin aka Tank 
AMA Member- Click Here to Join
A Business Member of ABATE of AZ
Member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation

The Harley-Davidson names and logos are Trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc. This site is not affiliated with Harley-Davidson.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use.
All artwork in the HDBitchin logos including "Popeye" our Harley riding and forum surfing mascot is artwork that is © of HDBitchin
© HDBitchin, a HD Forum 2013 - 2018 All rights reserved.